Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, all.

Still on the hunt for a Wrangler. Seems every deal that I touch goes south almost immediately. That aside, I have come upon a question for which I can't seem to get a definitive answer. I want a Wrangler with limited slip. I know it is an option on most trim levels but I am not sure about Rubicons. Is limited slip installed on every Rubicon, or is it an option, or is it even needed with the axle lockers?

I would be most appreciative if someone could school me on this.

Thank you much.
Aaron

·
Registered
430 Posts
With lockers limited slip is not needed as you choose to either lock it up or not.
A far better system when off road and/or in low traction conditions.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The factory TJ Rubicon differentials provide both limited slip, when the lockers are not engaged and also provide fully locked when engaged.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
True you get both a limited slip and lockers in a Rubicon... but only the rear axle gets the LSD.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Jerry,

Here is a question for you. I have the factory rear limited slip, The function of which I'd like to retain. If I upgrade to air locker(s), what do I have to do to retain that LS function? I like the option of limited slip for those poor traction road conditions where a locker is not needed, or necessarily wanted. How does one have the best of both worlds? I was thinking, keeping the limited slip in the rear and putting an ARB air locker in the front.

Thanks,

K

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
You can always install a lunchbox locker up front which wouldn't be noticeable, steering-wise, when on the street in 2wd. At the most it would click a bit when making turns. It wouldn't be locked up hard enough to notice in 2wd, that doesn't happen until you shift into 4x4.

For the rear, there's only two ways to go to have both a LSD and locker and I wouldn't do either. The Rubicon's rear locker includes an integral LSD but it's darned expensive and not easily found used. The only other combination LSD/locker is the Eaton ECTED which is a clutch-based LSD that also uses its clutch pack to "lock" with. I wouldn't touch the ECTED, its clutch pack wears out and you have to send it to Eaton to have it rebuilt which costs nearly as much as it cost to buy.

Having had LSDs in two Jeeps, I don't think they're worth worrying about keeping for SOCAL use, especially in your locale where icy roads are not an issue.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Jerry,

Thanks! You pretty much confirmed what I thought. I was in Flagstaff last weekend in 3" of fresh snow and was thinking that keeping the limited slip would definitely be useful, if possible. Living in SoCal does limit the need aspect at times for certain things, I just can't seem to stay local!

Thanks again,

K

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is there a way to find out if a diff is limited slip or just open?
If you have your build sheet, it will say. If you don't, another way is to
lift the rear so both tires are off the ground and spin one of them. While moving one tire by hand, if the tires move in the same direction (or one doesnt move), it means that it is most likely a limited slip. If you spin one tire and the other starts spinning in the opposite direction, you have an open differential

·
Registered
61 Posts
@ Jerry: I just installed an Auburn Ected locker with LS on my d30 up front. Have you seen similar failures with this brand like the Ected? Also, my Jeep now feels different on the street when in 2wd and not locked. Should the changes to the road manners be so noticeable only from limited slip?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
@ Jerry: I just installed an Auburn Ected locker with LS on my d30 up front. Have you seen similar failures with this brand like the Ected? Also, my Jeep now feels different on the street when in 2wd and not locked. Should the changes to the road manners be so noticeable only from limited slip?
The ECTED is a combination clutch-based LSD and clutch-based locker. Clutch-based LSDs can feel different as they keep the differential pre-loaded which can make the LSD more noticeable during turns. The same thing happens with the clutch-based Tracloc LSD that is available on Jeeps from the factory. The gear-based Detroit Truetrac LSD does not have that trait.

What failure are you talking about?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks!

The only other combination LSD/locker is the Eaton ECTED which is a clutch-based LSD that also uses its clutch pack to "lock" with. I wouldn't touch the ECTED, its clutch pack wears out and you have to send it to Eaton to have it rebuilt which costs nearly as much as it cost to buy.

The Eaton and Auburn are very similar and I wondered if you knew of failures.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
The only significant similarity between the Eaton and Auburn is they are both selectable lockers. Other than that they are very different designs. The Auburn is the only clutch-based combination locker and LSD I'm aware of, the Eaton is not clutch-based at all. I have never been a fan of the ECTED due to its clutch-based design.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts