Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a smart route for me to take if I wanted to have better off-road capabilities from my JKU. I currently don't even have the limited slip differential. I understand that I can do as much as my pockets are willing to handle, so I'm looking for something modest. What would be the best option for installing a limited slip or lockers, and which parts are involved in this. This would be for an all around Jeep. Trails, Mud, Rocks (if I ever find some), Highway use since its a DD, and Mall Crawling when my wife has it.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
For all around use it's hard to beat a Truetrac. The BLD compliments it well, it doesn't require extra wiring or air to work and it's there all the time. You can do lockers, but for an all around daily driver they aren't as good for the money.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Yes, it's a gear type LSD so it won't wear out over time, doesn't chatter and doesn't require special diff lube. BLD is the brake lock diff the jk has. It applies the brake on a spinning wheel to transfer torque to the wheel with traction.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
bhawkdrvr said:
So I take it that the TrueTrac is a Limited Slip. Also, what is BLD?
BLD is the jeep's electronic "brake locking differential." It uses the brakes to simulate the effects of an LSD. Does a pretty good job.

The "cool" part of me wants one or two lockers, the practical side of me knows that front and rear truetracs would almost surely be a better choice.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The "cool" part of me wants one or two lockers, the practical side of me knows that front and rear truetracs would almost surely be a better choice.
As soon as he said daily driver and wife's mall crawler, lockers became impractical.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
oilwell1415 said:
As soon as he said daily driver and wife's mall crawler, lockers became impractical.
Yep. I put down 70 highway miles a day commuting. Unless I was a regular rock crawler on top of that, lockers really make very little sense.

I expect the OP is similarly situated. One or two TrueTracs would be great--helps on slick roads, on the occasional trail, and requires no extra effort once installed other than use of the proper diff fluid.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MTH thanks for all the input. I drive 60 miles a day to work and back, and just take the jeep off-road occasionally. I've been stuck in the mud, so I wanted something to make it a more robust machine, but without damaging our bank accounts. Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
You're absolutely right. Thanks for the advice guys! Also, how difficult would it be to retrofit the Rubicon's e-lockers?
Not worth it. You can do better for less in the aftermarket and not have to do a front axle swap. You'd also need to wire them up and if set them up to work with the factory controls they will only work in 4L at slow speeds. In other words, lots of money to be useless 99% of the time.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You got some bad advice here, I have been down this road with my 2012 sport. The Eaton trutrac is better than any standard limited slip. Go to Eaton web site and take a look for yourself. I have a trutrac in the rear and a Eaton e locker in the front. These have turned my sport into a rubicon capable jeep. I do have a manual disco.
Trutrac works differently than LSD and the BLD is useless for any type of rutted climbing. The Eaton trutrac needs to be drill to 1/2 inch to fit your pinion in the 2012 or 2013 do not let someone tell you otherwise because they don't want to do it or they want to slop fit the two with 7/16 bolts. And forget about any retrofit with mopar parts cost way to much not near as strong as Eatons parts. DO your own research first.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
mcgee10 said:
You got some bad advice here, I have been down this road with my 2012 sport. The Eaton trutrac is better than any standard limited slip. Go to Eaton web site and take a look for yourself. I have a trutrac in the rear and a Eaton e locker in the front. These have turned my sport into a rubicon capable jeep. I do have a manual disco.
Trutrac works differently than LSD and the BLD is useless for any type of rutted climbing. The Eaton trutrac needs to be drill to 1/2 inch to fit your pinion in the 2012 or 2013 do not let someone tell you otherwise because they don't want to do it or they want to slop fit the two with 7/16 bolts. And forget about any retrofit with mopar parts cost way to much not near as strong as Eatons parts. DO your own research first.
He got no bad advice. Quote for me the items in the thread that you think are inconsistent with what you've said.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I question everything in the above paragraph other than that the Trutrac is better than a standard limited slip. Nothing else makes sense.

Trutrac works differently than LSD and the BLD is useless for any type of rutted climbing.
The Trutrac does the exact same thing as any other LSD, it just does it better and gets to the goal in a different way. It still uses friction and gear geometry to transfer torque from one wheel to the other. The BLD, while not perfect, does work well for the mild wheeling that most people do. It isn't for rock crawling, but complements a Trutrac very well.

The Eaton trutrac needs to be drill to 1/2 inch to fit your pinion in the 2012 or 2013 do not let someone tell you otherwise because they don't want to do it or they want to slop fit the two with 7/16 bolts.
How does the Trutrac interact with the pinion? Mopar lists the same 1/2" bolts for all of the JK rear axles. What exactly do you mean by slop fit? If you tried to screw a 7/16 bolt into a 1/2 hole I don't think the threads would even touch and if they did they certainly would not take the torque needed for assembly.

And forget about any retrofit with mopar parts cost way to much not near as strong as Eatons parts. DO your own research first.
This is the only thing you have said that makes any sense at all.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
He got no bad advice. Quote for me the items in the thread that you think are inconsistent with what you've said.
I think his big problem is the ring gear bolts not fitting in the Trutrac, but the bolt sizes are the same for all but the 07s and there are too many people out there running these with no issues for it to be a huge problem. I think what is happening is people are buying the wrong carrier for their application since there are probably half a dozen different variants for the D44.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
oilwell1415 said:
I think his big problem is the ring gear bolts not fitting in the Trutrac, but the bolt sizes are the same for all but the 07s and there are too many people out there running these with no issues for it to be a huge problem. I think what is happening is people are buying the wrong carrier for their application since there are probably half a dozen different variants for the D44.
But . . . who said anything else about ring gear bolts such that their advice was "bad"? :confused:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
But . . . who said anything else about ring gear bolts such that their advice was "bad"? :confused:
Nobody. I'm supposed to be nice, remember? I think the point was that the ring gear bolts allegedly don't fit, so advising someone to use a Trutrac is bad advice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Again, thanks for the help guys. It seems like I ave some studying ahead of me while I finish saving for this project.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Sorry guys I copied and pasted this I was posting the almost same topic from another jeep forum. The bad advice part should not have been placed here. Maybe just some venting after my trutrac install which didn't go very good. Now I see I used some wrong terms when describing the 7/16 holes in the Eaton E locker to match the 1/2 holes in the ring gear.
Better get on my game to :hide:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry guys I copied and pasted this I was posting the almost same topic from another jeep forum. The bad advice part should not have been placed here. Maybe just some venting after my trutrac install which didn't go very good. Now I see I used some wrong terms when describing the 7/16 holes in the Eaton E locker to match the 1/2 holes in the ring gear.
Better get on my game to :hide:
It takes a big man to admit a mistake...

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
oilwell1415 said:
Nobody. I'm supposed to be nice, remember? I think the point was that the ring gear bolts allegedly don't fit, so advising someone to use a Trutrac is bad advice.
:rofl:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts