Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Yes, many D-35's have limited slip. It is called track loc and was an option. If your differential has the original tags, there will be two if it is limited slip, the second recommending an additive. The main tag will also have the LS designation on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, many D-35's have limited slip. It is called track loc and was an option. If your differential has the original tags, there will be two if it is limited slip, the second recommending an additive. The main tag will also have the LS designation on it.

Thank you. Mine does have the tag but only one. And nothing on my jeep says trac-loc. I'm safe to assume it's not limited slip?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
Keep in mind too that by now, any Tracloc LSD inside a TJ Dana 35 likely would be in need of a rebuild with a new clutch pack. I don't believe the clutchpack lasts more than 45-50k miles and once it has worn out, the axle functions as an open axle. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep in mind too that by now, any Tracloc LSD inside a TJ Dana 35 likely would be in need of a rebuild with a new clutch pack. I don't believe the clutchpack lasts more than 45-50k miles and once it has worn out, the axle functions as an open axle. :)

Good to know Jerry! I'm in the middle of changing the oil in my rear diff and I wanted to be sure I didn't need the Limited slip additive

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also noticed some chipping or gouging in the centre of the teeth of my spider gears.
I have taken pics but no idea how to post them on the fourm

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
Good to know Jerry! I'm in the middle of changing the oil in my rear diff and I wanted to be sure I didn't need the Limited slip additive
Most any appropriate gear lube you will find will have the limited slip additive already there since the additive is compatible with axles without a limited slip diff. You can verify that by looking at the back label where it will indicate the additive's presence by saying something like 'Compatible with limited slip differentials'. You'd have a hard time finding a gear lube without it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most any appropriate gear lube you will find will have the limited slip additive already there since the additive is compatible with axles without a limited slip diff. You can verify that by looking at the back label where it will indicate the additive's presence by saying something like 'Compatible with limited slip differentials'. You'd have a hard time finding a gear lube without it.

Good to know. I was just making sure a the parts store it said GL 5 or equivalent

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
With the rear end jacked up, turn one wheel and see if the other wheel turns the same way. If so, you have a LS. If it turns the opposite direction, you have an open diff.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
With the rear end jacked up, turn one wheel and see if the other wheel turns the same way. If so, you have a LS. If it turns the opposite direction, you have an open diff.
A Tracloc LSD will act like an open differential in that test if its clutch pack is worn out as most probably are by now.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Mine will still turn the same way at 260K mi. However, if a friend holds one wheel and I turn the other, there is almost no effort required to spin the wheel while he holds the other. So, it is not really doing anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts