Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Jeep Wrangler X Manual 6-Speed
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm looking to make a plug of some sort for the rear tailgate and not just some metal nodes that happened to be touching each other. I'm extending the wires from the third brake light, making a plug, mounting a rearview camera on the spare tire, adding that to the plug as another wire going through. My only gripe, is I need to make some sort of limiting straps like the JKs have for their tailgates. Anyone have any ideas? I came across this, but wasn't exactly a fan. DIY limiting straps for tailgate

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I come with an update for any future takers. I made a two prong waterproof plug as I live in beautiful rainy Florida. I'm missing the footman loops to make a limiting strap. Once all is done, I'll update again.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I'm thinking of 3d printing a housing to shield the cable.
Good idea.

That way, you can pass the STL file to anyone else looking to do the same mod. 👍

(BTW, in post #1, it isn't necessary to say "rear tailgate". Just say "tailgate". You've only got one tailgate, and it's in the rear.

I've done this, too. Referring to my windshield as my "front windshield", when I have only one windshield, and it's in the front.)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's an update!

Image 1: Shows the different wires being ran through there, I might get a bigger loom so the wires aren't exposed.
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Image 2: The wires circled in green (not the oem brake light wire), is the back up camera's video and power wires I routed through the hole. The green arrow points to the wiring I'm going to fix. I didn't realize that I needed to run it behind. I was working with the spare there. I like to make life more difficult for no apparent reason.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Bumper

Image 3: The green boxes are showing the mounting points for the footman loops I plan on using to secure the paracord strap to (the buckle is staying there until I get the footman loops tomorrow). I'm going to be using two straps, not just the one pictured, as I feel that it would be more secure that way.
Bicycle Crankset Bicycle tire Tire Automotive tire

Image 4: Is where I decided to mount the camera until I model and print a mount for it.
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Art Gas

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the 3d render of the design I made. I have a buddy of mine printing it. I do resin and PETG, he does ABS. PETG is more water resistant, but ABS is more heat resistant. I'd rather take heat resistance and epoxy seal it afterwards to make it waterproof. This will be mounted on the tailgate shielding the plugs. I'm also going to put silicone under it before drilling it in, to prevent water from going in between the housing and the tailgate itself.

Rectangle Wood Line Composite material Gas

Rectangle Font Tints and shades Computer Symmetry

Rectangle Asphalt Road surface Wood House

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another update! I got the paracord strap, 1" wire loom, and mounted with the footman loop. I'm still missing the 3d print (friend printed it, but I just need to pick it up and mount it). I still have not mounted the second strap, yet. Oh and I need to brush up on my knotting skills with paracord 😅

Hand Finger Input device Gadget Thumb
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
06 TJ SE 2.4L 6spd, 79 CJ5 258ci 4spd, 83 CJ7 258ci auto
1,309 Posts
Another update! I got the paracord strap, 1" wire loom, and mounted with the footman loop. I'm still missing the 3d print (friend printed it, but I just need to pick it up and mount it). I still have not mounted the second strap, yet. Oh and I need to brush up on my knotting skills with paracord 😅

View attachment 4543609
ok, this looks good, for a moment there is was a hot mess, good job!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, this looks good, for a moment there is was a hot mess, good job!!
We are in the final stages! I need to seal an abs 3d print and get silicone between it and the tailgate when mounting it. I also need to add one more strap to prevent a single one bearing the full load. Thank you! It was so fun to do this mini project!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
We are in the final stages! I need to seal an abs 3d print ...
It's just amazing what you can create, using a 3D printer.

I can think of 1 or 2 "Jeep" items that could be built with a 3D printer, that aren't available anywhere in the stores.

I can see the benefits of 3D printing (plus having the ability to use so many different materials, soft plastic, hard plastic, ABS, PLA, etc.,) to be able to create specialized items for your Jeep that you can't find in any store.

For me, I'm just waiting for the cost of a 3D printer to go down, plus there are times where you might want/need to print something larger than the size allowed by the 3D printers of today (non-commercial, personal printers).

As long as the 3D printer stays popular, given enough time, the cost SHOULD go down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts