Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have been searching and reading a few posts here and there about this issue.
I just recently started modding my unlimited sport 2014 and I lifted it 3.5 inches with 22 wheels on 37 tires and 4.88 gears, just for show basically. I drove it home from the shop without installing the Superchip
(I now know I wasn't supposed to). It wont shift past 2nd gear and 3rd gear just revs without any acceleration, installed the superchips traildash2, changed tire size and axle ratio, no improvement. Called superchips, they sent me an update to reset the programmer, left my battery unplug overnight, tried to program it again, still wont drive past 2nd gear.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
8,177 Posts
Make sure you enter actual tire size not sidewall tire size. Some 37s are not truly 37. Do you have any engine codes - most programmers will read them.

Try programming it back to stock then start over.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Make sure you enter actual tire size not sidewall tire size. Some 37s are not truly 37. Do you have any engine codes - most programmers will read them.

Try programming it back to stock then start over.
i have abs and traction code on, on my way to have those checked now since the traildash2 doesnt read those. Already tried programming back to stock twice.

I have mudgrapplers, how do you recommend I measure them?

·
Super Moderator
8,177 Posts
Actually, another WF member encountered similar limp mode issues recently and cause was a bad wheel speed sensor - once the sensor was replaced, it properly programmed. See if you get a wheel speed sensor code - places like napa or autozone or oreillys etc can read codes. Which makes sense with the ABS and traction lights you're seeing. I didn't think a sensor could trigger limp mode, but when you are in messing with reprogramming, it's quite possible the jeep says "I cant figure out what youre doing I give up". Joy of electronics.

Measure tires on the Jeep diameter. If Mud Grapplers are like Trail Grapplers, they should be "pretty" close to sidewall number

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay that would make sense because the ABS and traction lights were on intermittently before I put in new tires and gears but it was running fine, but now they are on all the time. Hopefully its a speed sensor, quick fix.
Will update later about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, another WF member encountered similar limp mode issues recently and cause was a bad wheel speed sensor - once the sensor was replaced, it properly programmed. See if you get a wheel speed sensor code - places like napa or autozone or oreillys etc can read codes. Which makes sense with the ABS and traction lights you're seeing. I didn't think a sensor could trigger limp mode, but when you are in messing with reprogramming, it's quite possible the jeep says "I cant figure out what youre doing I give up". Joy of electronics.

Measure tires on the Jeep diameter. If Mud Grapplers are like Trail Grapplers, they should be "pretty" close to sidewall number
Okay that would make sense because the ABS and traction lights were on intermittently before I put in new tires and gears but it was running fine, but now they are on all the time. Hopefully its a speed sensor, quick fix.
Will update later about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had a similar issue but Im using JSCAN.. i had to reinitialize the gear box on their app.. once I did that, no more CELs.. not sure what your tuner has.. but see if there is a way to re-initialize the gearbox.. on jscan you activate it.. then deactivate it..

the normal gearbox init state is deactivated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is that a free app? lol I cant believe I paid for this traildash when there was an app like that out there

·
Super Moderator
8,177 Posts
Yep sounds like one or more of your sensors were already "done" and the computer is having a hard time reconciling that with the new programming.

Message from the other WF member who had the issue: If he can get his hand on a code reader (maybe auto zone) you can determine which one isn't working by tire speeds not the code itself. The one reading zero when rolling into limp is the one that needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Use 36" for your 37x13.50x22 Mud Grapplers, if that's what you have. Having that wrong isn't the source of your issue, and it sounds like you are working that out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
If you change the gear ratio in your Jeep, and drive it without programming in the proper ratio, the vehicle will go into limp mode. You need to program in the new ratio before you drive it.
Not sure how to fix that one.
It has to be set back to stock, then programmed for the new ratio BEFORE you try to move it

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is that a free app? lol I cant believe I paid for this traildash when there was an app like that out there

its like 20 bucks per VIN and the OBD adapter is around 10 bucks or so..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Use 36" for your 37x13.50x22 Mud Grapplers, if that's what you have. Having that wrong isn't the source of your issue, and it sounds like you are working that out.

Yes thats what I have, thanks will do that.

UPDATE:
One abs sensor was bad. replacing both tomorrow; hopefully this is it.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You may need to try values +/- .25" from that, but 36" is the best bet to make your speedometer correct. BTW, this was converted from Nitto's revs/mile number.

Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE: replaced both ABS sensor in the front, no lights on the dash anymore. drove it but still goes into limp mode, will try resetting the traildash2 now.

·
Super Moderator
8,177 Posts
Keep us posted once you go thru the routine to reset. Hopefully this cures it.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
If you change the gear ratio in your Jeep, and drive it without programming in the proper ratio, the vehicle will go into limp mode. You need to program in the new ratio before you drive it.
Not sure how to fix that one.
It has to be set back to stock, then programmed for the new ratio BEFORE you try to move it
Some devices will confuse the Jeep comp if you set it back to default or if you move it before completing the programming. The best way to do it, is correctly, twice if needed. AEV goes so far as to state.. don't default unless you've tried everything else... They also state in the manual, even if you did it correctly it might take you multiple times to completely change the computer settings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys im getting *P0731 Gear Ratio Error in 1st*
I see that could be several different things, where should I start looking?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Ok guys im getting *P0731 Gear Ratio Error in 1st*
I see that could be several different things, where should I start looking?

When you go into limp mode, does the jeep drive very slow or buck like a bronco?

Did you confirm you actually had 4.88's (by counting teeth) before installation?

Have you or have you NOT reset to factory setting(That is NOT a suggestion to reset)?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts