Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some thoughts here. I've got a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited that I'm considering having the interior sprayed with a Line-X shell. Here were my thoughts:

Pros:

1. I want an easier cleanup job - hose it out!
  2. Stop rust from the inside of tub
  3. Consistent look (covering rusted and scratched areas)
  4. scratch resistent
Cons:

1. Black color - will be hotter in the sun
  2. Black color - not consistent with paint (silver)
  3. Retains heat from drivetrain
I could consider paying more for a tinted color match, but that might double (or more) the price. Lastly - any ideas what this might cost?

·
Supporting Member Commercial Member
78 Posts
I thought weight would be a downside to this stuff. I've been toying with this idea for a while now.

·
Commercial Member
830 Posts
It's a good idea if you want to reduce cabin noise.

It's a good idea for all of the "pro" reasons that you cited.

It's a bad idea if you want to ever sell your rig....coating the interior is about as bad as putting diamond plate on the exterior. It looks like you are hiding rust. Expect resale to plummet if you proceed with coating the interior.

Doc

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just sprayed the U-Pol Raptor Bedliner recently and love it. I figured if I ever do plan on selling it, which I doubt, I can always just put the carpet back in to cover it up.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Was a definite plus when I sold my last Jeep: Took a lot of pics to show it was done right. It's a definite plus for all the reasons specified. You don't need to use any particular brand for any of those reasons either. I used Durabak, others use Monstaliner...they will both do the same thing. Don't get hung up on which brand is better then that brand...Prep work is the absolute key to success with it. There are many threads here on this very subject, so try the Search function and read up.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Line X comes in different colors, too. The installer I used sponsored a few Baja 1000 entries that were Line X'ed inside and out in yellow and blue.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brand Recommendations?

I just got a phone quote from Line-X - $950 stripped. I think this is a bit high and although he suggested I check other Line-X franchises. I'm also going to look for other services. I don't want to do it myself, I want it done right by someone who's done it. It looks like most of these are kits...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I used the Herculiner roll-on kit in my YJ a few years back. It's not hard to do at all, and not particularly time consuming either.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I paid $1200 exterior and interior and they stripped and reassembled it. I think someone is overcharging you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Its definitely worth it in my opinion, but im biased. It fits all the needs of the "Pros" and then some. As far as the "Cons" go, the black color doesnt really contribute that much to heat in the summer, but the exhaust under the tub does once the sound deadening and carpet are out. The floor gets hot from the exhaust at times. The black color looks great with silver (billet here) in my opinion. Especially if you have other black accents (bumpers, rails, etc). As mentioned, it definitely has the drivetrain heat. Its not that effective at reducing cabin noise in my opinion. Definitely not as good as the carpet, its noisier. Not bad, just worse than having the carpet in. You could easily put carpet back in over the top of it and pretty much conceal it if youre really worried about resale. For the right buyer, it would be a huge plus to have it already done. As has been mentioned, its expensive if you get it done right, and theres no other way to do it in my opinion. I was happy to pay a few hundred extra to take it to a line-x shop that has a lot of experience with jeeps (the place I went does all of AEV's). They cover some of the holes from the manufacturing process, take care not to cover any wires, etc. I probably didnt get the best deal, but im happy with how it turned out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another Quote: Rhino Linings

I got another quote for $650 for Rhino Linings. That's about 35% cheaper than my Line-X quote. I've certainly heard of Rhino, but think Line-X is still the market leader. I like how uniform and professional they both look when applied by professionals (as seen on YouTube). I will strip the rest of the stuff out to save some $$$. I appreciate ALL the ideas, advice and experience - thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts