Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new ball joints on, checked torque boxes and body mounts. What else can I check? sound comes from foot pedal area or behind the firewall but maybe below the floor, it's telegraphing from some dang place.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Does the steering wheel move at all? Like, the centering of the steering wheel? Mine did the exact same thing, felt it on the floor boards by steering wheel/firewall. Mine ending up being a loose bolt that held the trac bar onto the axle (passenger side). Didn't look loose, but it was like 1/2 turn loose which was enough to make it move.. and I noticed every once in awhile the centering on my steering wheel was off. Put a breaker bar on that thing and see if its loose

·
Registered
878 Posts
Shock mounts.
Trans skid plate.
Front drive shaft.
Sway bar links.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a similar noise on my 1999 Wrangler. Found a loose bolt in a rear lower trailing arm between frame and rear axle.
Had to replace bolt as threads were damaged and could not tighten the bolt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked Trac Bar and Control arms. Tight!
Removed and re installed Front Shocks.
Trans skid plate is tight.
Sway bar and drive line are good and tight, we did get the same popping noise with the front drive shaft and sway bar disconnected as an experiment.
New clutch and fork is in the mail, throw out bearing all that coming soon.. I will go through the rear of the TJ just to make sure I didn't miss something but the noise sounds like its in front.

Suspension under Tj is the Metal cloak ARB edition which has the ol man emu shocks and springs. It's all new and tight, new ball joints and new Currie tie rod.

The noise is almost like something bending or flexing, steering column has a tiny bit of wiggle in it, I will film it or anything you suggest if it will help figure this out. Let me know what to do, I will do it! Seriously, this noise totally blows!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got back from camping, no noise the whole trip. We tightened the upper track bar mount (track bar to frame) with a pipe on a breaker bar for leverage and got a 1/4 turn out of it, so far so good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts