Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Do you think the mechanism will resist winter assault with ice and salt ?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've tried installing 2 different units of this product and can't get it to work. I've even contacted Rugged Ridge and they said mine "could be defective" and asked me to take it apart and reassemble it. Maybe you can help me out.

I could get it installed, and everything looked like it was correct, but it just didn't do anything. When latched, the hood could still easily be opened.

Does yours actually work?

My Wrangler is a 2013 in case that makes any difference.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought the Mopar one that keys to your ignition key. Much more durable than the Rugged Ridge, also a lot more expensive. That said it has a dust/moisture cover and it's made of really thick steel.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I bought the Mopar one that keys to your ignition key. Much more durable than the Rugged Ridge, also a lot more expensive. That said it has a dust/moisture cover and it's made of really thick steel.
I bought the mopar one too, i like that you dont need a separate key. I paid 120 with free shipping off ebay.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
I was thinking of getting the Mopar Lock, how do you like it and how long to install, looks like a 10 minutes job. I have the same rivet tool

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was thinking of getting the Mopar Lock, how do you like it and how long to install, looks like a 10 minutes job. I have the same rivet tool
It works great, plus it was really easy to install. It took about 20mins including keying the lock, I took my time to make sure I did it right. The rubber cap keeps all the road junk from the road out of the lock. I installed it about a month ago, so far so good! I would def recommend it for anyone thinking about getting a hood lock that works with your factory key.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It works great, plus it was really easy to install. It took about 20mins including keying the lock, I took my time to make sure I did it right. The rubber cap keeps all the road junk from the road out of the lock. I installed it about a month ago, so far so good! I would def recommend it for anyone thinking about getting a hood lock that works with your factory key.
+1 Very easy to install, works great.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've tried installing 2 different units of this product and can't get it to work. I've even contacted Rugged Ridge and they said mine "could be defective" and asked me to take it apart and reassemble it. Maybe you can help me out.

I could get it installed, and everything looked like it was correct, but it just didn't do anything. When latched, the hood could still easily be opened.

Does yours actually work?

My Wrangler is a 2013 in case that makes any difference.

I bought the rugged ridge one, and IMO it was a piece of junk, I installed it properly after fixing it, when I got it the piece that goes against the hood release was backwards. It was weak and the nut that secured the lock cylinder turned easily. I could open it with a flat screwdriver.

I didn't bother with one in the end but if I do decide I really need one I'll use the mopar one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts