Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dance:Hi guys and girls. Just an update on my leaking tranny ax5. It will go into the shop next Monday, for a new front seal Im hoping that is all we find once inside. BUT while the tranny is out is there anything else to get done? Current to do list:eek:: clutch, pressure plate, throw out, rear main seal, all new seals in transfer case front and rear. Are there any bearings or anything else that I might replace while the tranny is out? Next item: I've been looking at new shocks ( I have 4" susp. lift, 2" body lift ) all the lifted jeeps I've looked at, the rear shocks seem to be at full compression all the time:confused:. There are 4 yj's in the area and they are all the same. My yj rides like your sitting on the axels:banghead:. I have no info on the springs that were used when the susp. lift was done. When we put my jeep up on the lift the rear shocks don't drop a bit (they stay at full compression) The trac bars are still on, should there be a bracket on the rear trac bar to go with the 4" suspension lift? Do the trac bars limit the travel of the shocks with the susp. lift? AS always Thank you all for your help and suggestions. P.S. " Little Red " Thanks you too!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Pilot bearing. That's inside the crankshaft and it's where the front input shaft of the transmission slides in to.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Take the Trac bars off. Yes, they limit the travel. You will notice a much improved ride. No ill effects from removing them with a leaf sprung vehicle. They serve no real purpose on a leaf sprung vehicle. Do it, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
/\ /\ What he said /\ /\ :thumb:

Oh, and Big Red says "you're welcome". (see sig below \/ \/ ) :rofl:

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Billsteins or Fox shocks and if you spend a little you won't believe the difference they make.

Got 4 Billsteins shipped to the door for $275 from a guy called Kolak on Jeep Forum. See if you can find him in the directory and look him. Shipping took a week and only 30 minutes to install they are great

·
Registered
34 Posts
:dance:Hi guys and girls. Just an update on my leaking tranny ax5. It will go into the shop next Monday, for a new front seal Im hoping that is all we find once inside. BUT while the tranny is out is there anything else to get done? Current to do list:eek:: clutch, pressure plate, throw out, rear main seal, all new seals in transfer case front and rear. Are there any bearings or anything else that I might replace while the tranny is out? Next item: I've been looking at new shocks ( I have 4" susp. lift, 2" body lift ) all the lifted jeeps I've looked at, the rear shocks seem to be at full compression all the time:confused:. There are 4 yj's in the area and they are all the same. My yj rides like your sitting on the axels:banghead:. I have no info on the springs that were used when the susp. lift was done. When we put my jeep up on the lift the rear shocks don't drop a bit (they stay at full compression) The trac bars are still on, should there be a bracket on the rear trac bar to go with the 4" suspension lift? Do the trac bars limit the travel of the shocks with the susp. lift? AS always Thank you all for your help and suggestions. P.S. " Little Red " Thanks you too!!!
Yes there should be a rear trac bar bracket with a 4 inch lift kit. Save the trac bars if you're ride is a highway daily driver. I left my front and rear bars off after installing my lift and put them back on. Did fine till about 45mph then all bad

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help from all of you, Im still reading the comments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Surface or replace the flywheel. New ones are almost as cheap as resurfacing your old one. NEW $62.00 RESURFACE is $40.00.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Track Bar is different from a Trac Bar. Spelling is important!! ;)

A Track Bar locates the axle side to side.

A Trac(tion) Bar prevents the axle from wrapping under heavy acceleration.

As yes removing the Track Bars will improve ride quality. Flexing the springs offroad will as well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions guys I dropped her off today and she will sit inside the shop till Monday.I hope the jeep gods are in a good mood Monday morning when they drop the tranny and transfer!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts