Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I would share a fun little story about today. So I got to head out today for home, however there was some pretty bad weather between Prescott AZ and Denver CO. So I got to drive my jeep through some real weather for the first time. I have been reading on here about people saying that mud terrain tires are bad in the snow but they handled amazingly. So yeah I just thought I would put that out there that even though I didn't get home tonight I got to have a fun drive in the jeep and managed to not get hurt along the way, the tires handled much better then I would have expected.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Despite all the gloom and doom on here, 99.9% of the time, nothing bad happens!

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
except when you use 4wd on dry surfaces then there really is destruction..

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
I got to use my 4wd today too for the first time! We got about 3 inches of very very dry snow (it is currently 10 degrees F) and it handled great. Didn't spin out once when 4wd was engaged. I don't even have that great of tires either. Just Destination A/T's with around 60-70% tread.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
InvertChaos said:
I got to use my 4wd today too for the first time! We got about 3 inches of very very dry snow (it is currently 10 degrees F) and it handled great. Didn't spin out once when 4wd was engaged. I don't even have that great of tires either. Just Destination A/T's with around 60-70% tread.
I was out in that same mess today. My 32" pro-comps didn't do too bad on the side roads. 4wd was a must. Too bad all the other yahoos didn't make better vehicle choices and driving decisions. Amazing what a little white stuff does in the DC area.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I was thinking I might need to use 4wd but I never did. I might tomorrow over Raton or Monument.

·
Registered
523 Posts
i metro to work, so i didn't get to go out in the NOVA/DC area snow yesterday

i have the mud terrain tires on my jeep too, so i'm glad to hear they performed well

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Yeah some people just shouldn't drive lol. They actually just started plowing our area late last night. So that coupled with 10 degree temps made thre roads pretty nasty. The jeep did very very well though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
So I thought I would share a fun little story about today. So I got to head out today for home, however there was some pretty bad weather between Prescott AZ and Denver CO. So I got to drive my jeep through some real weather for the first time. I have been reading on here about people saying that mud terrain tires are bad in the snow but they handled amazingly. So yeah I just thought I would put that out there that even though I didn't get home tonight I got to have a fun drive in the jeep and managed to not get hurt along the way, the tires handled much better then I would have expected.
That's what I said too, of course as someone explained to me, the stock rubi mud's are narrow, and if you went with wide mud's it would be a different story.

I've been driving RWD sports cars (with snows) for the past 10 years of Canadian winters though, so I guess comparing the JK to those isn't really fair either. Even in 2wd the wrangler felt solid in the snow/slush though.

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
Down here? We got nothing. Not even any rain to complain about. Life sux...

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I've been through 2 seasons with the stock mud terrain tires. I've been in some pretty serious conditions. The worst being glare ice. Cars off the road in all directions. Me in 4wd going slow, stayed on the road. I still don't like it when trapped out there in icy conditions so just a couple of weeks ago got studded snows an put them on 16" pull off steel wheels. I'm still going to be cautious on ice but a little more confident on inclines that she will not slide off of the road and into something solid or worse yet, into an oncoming vehicle. In that type of driving I worry more about the other guy than me. I always go slow so even if I hit something...the results should be minor. You can't will the other drivers to do the same so that is your greatest concern on ice.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
I was out in that same mess today. My 32" pro-comps didn't do too bad on the side roads. 4wd was a must. Too bad all the other yahoos didn't make better vehicle choices and driving decisions. Amazing what a little white stuff does in the DC area.
:confused: We barely got an inch.
DC area got about 3 inches but I was able to drive in my old honda accord everywhere without any problems.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts