Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to be clear, I'm asking for a little 'help', not that the suspension is 'little' - though I guess that's all relative...:)

I've pretty much decided to go with the BDS 2" lift (see earlier post at http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/first-things-first-1126618.html ). I know there will still be some arguments about waiting and saving up for a bigger lift and all - honestly, I really don't see me going beyond 2" - oh, along with the 2" lift, I will be doing a 1" BL as well - so 3" total - that's probably important for the question I have which is...

Given that I'll be doing a 2" suspension lift (shocks and coils) and then a 1" BL, are there any other components that I will "NEED" to do because of the lift. Please talk as if I know nothing...which is partly true. I can turn a wrench and have on many other vehicles, just have not 'altered/improved' on any suspensions as of yet. So by 'NEED', I mean, extend brake line?, track arms?...other?

One of the reasons I don't want to go beyond the 2" SL + 1" BL is I don't want to get into a lot of additional mods. I will do sway bar disconnects as well, but I really don't want to have to do too much else underneath (TC drop if needed for vibes I understand...).

I have a 98 TJ, 4.0 5-spd manual w/D35 on rear and 3.07 gears. Currently, as bought, I'm on 33's and a 2" BL. The 33's are going away and going back down to 15" and running 31's...32's at most for now (as in the next several years). "IF" I go any bigger, it will only be to 33's but I really think I'll top out at 32 and may just stay on 31's.

Oh, as far as choosing BDS, well, I 'was' looking at RC because of price point, but BDS really isn't that much more (I think $60 at full retail) and I've seen fewer complaints w/BDS. Most other lifts are outside my comfortable price range. I looked at Zone, but they start out at 3" - I don't want to go that high. I really have looked at other lifts, I believe BDS will give me what I want.

Anyway, thoughts and suggestions?

:Thanx:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'd look into getting a new adjustable track bar as well. You can modify the axle mount to keep your current one. How to do this will mostly likely be in the instructions with whichever lift you choose. It's drilling a new hole to mount the old trackbar. However, most will recommend going with an adjustable Metalcloak or JKS track bar..which you don't have to modify the axle mount for.

If you're looking for a great ride, but not go over 3 inches..Check out Old Man Emu Lifts. It's a 2.5 inch lift, and from what I've heard, the ride quality is the best in that category. it would look great with 32's and you won't have to do a body lift.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The only other thing you need are some bumpstops, probably about 1" in front and 1-2" in the rear. Read this for more info on bumpstops in general: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/correct-bumpstop-length-70047.html (especially the post by unlimitedlj04)

If you want to do this "correctly" you should also re-center both axles with a rear track bar relocation bracket and by drilling and strengthening the front trackbar mount.

2" of lift is not enough to get a adjustable track bar because you will run into clearance issues, and the amount of bumpstop you will need to add to clear a new trackbar will take away from the usable lift.

And because you have the d35 you should not have to do a tcase drop. If you do a few washers will likely fix the problem.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd look into getting a new adjustable track bar as well. You can modify the axle mount to keep your current one.
If you want to do this "correctly" you should also re-center both axles with a rear track bar relocation bracket and by drilling and strengthening the front trackbar mount.
Thanks reb6672 and njs552 - I'll look more on the track bar issue

If you're looking for a great ride, but not go over 3 inches..Check out Old Man Emu Lifts. It's a 2.5 inch lift, and from what I've heard, the ride quality is the best in that category. it would look great with 32's and you won't have to do a body lift.
I looked at OME, but puts me out of my price range by about $500 - I could (and am planning to) use that $500 for some rock sliders and a few other things. Initially, the RC lift had me intrigued by the price point @ $300 and then I found out it would be more like $350 with the better shocks that they have (the 2.2 I think). BDS I saw was at $420 so not too much more. So really, I'd like to stay around the $400 mark for both shocks and coils as I'm currently riding on old and tired shocks and coils - both need replaced. Is it possible to just buy shocks separate of the coils (so buy a set of coils and a set of shocks) and be ahead of a "kit" price, I'm all for that. My only hesitation on that is...should the shocks/coils be...well, 'matched' for the best performance on the suspension??

The only other thing you need are some bumpstops, probably about 1" in front and 1-2" in the rear. Read this for more info on bumpstops in general: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/correct-bumpstop-length-70047.html (especially the post by unlimitedlj04)
Ah - more reading...good to know (not be sarcastic at all). I kept seeing some posts on bumpstops but wasn't sure about the application. I'll do some reading - Thanks!

And because you have the d35 you should not have to do a tcase drop. If you do a few washers will likely fix the problem.
That's actually what I understood...not having to fully do a tc drop, but just add some washers...if needed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
In general, I've found mods on a TJ are pretty easy and straight forward as long as you have a little patience and heed input from the forum! So I wouldn't necessarily limit myself on mods!

It was my first time for control arms, track bars, SYE, and ah well pretty much everything suspension wise.

x2 on the adjustable track bars. Also with your change in wheel and tire sizes you may need to adjust the speedo gear (also easy).

If your TJ has a tranny skid plate fwd of the tranny mount, you may run into clearance issues with the front drive shaft- I did- see my build for more lessons I learned along the way..-

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f322/2004-tj-tonka-toy-3-in-currie-lift-installation-702674.html

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I don't mind turning a wrench...more enjoyable when it's "adding" something than it is "fixing" something. My main concern about going with a 'smaller' lift (2/2.5) is to keep the costs down and...what 'real' advantages are there with going with a 2/2.5" vs 3" vs 4" vs 6" lift. My understanding is the higher you go, the more mods you 'have' to do...which in turn, drive up costs. My preferred tire size will be 31/32 or MAYBE 33, but max at 33.

Having said all that, has anyone had any experience with the following lift?

Quadratec Exclusive 16400.0032 - Quadratec Maximum Duty 2.5? Coil Spring Suspension Lift Kit with Shocks for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

I can't figure out what brand it is to compare it...or is it actually a 'Quadratic' brand. I'm 'looking' at it with the Nitro 8.0 shocks. Again, price point is a plus and comes w/the bump stop extensions, track bar re-alignment bracket, and brake line bracket...if needed.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ought to clarify...real advantage "other" than more aggressive rock crawling. I don't want to be a Mall Crawler, but I also won't be hitting the heavy duty trails either. I need enough to get me into the back country in the mountains and to have fun off-road when I get the chance...especially down in Moab since I live only a few hours away.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Extended swaybar links or disconnects or just go to the Anti-Rock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts