Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, lets cut to the chase...I have my 35 on my stock tire carrier...I ran without a spare for a few weeks and was paranoid as hell, i even got a Poison Spyder tramp stamp II to try and get over the fact that i didnt have a spare. I couldnt, and im too broke to get a spare tire carrier right now. SOOOO, ive read all the stories about the welds popping out with 33s and so forth. My tire wheel combo wieghs 94 lbs. Is there anyone out there that has not had a problem? I even considered putting the bolt through my bumper like Jimbo, however, the tire is already slightly touching the bumper. Yes i am running Daystar bumpstops. I guess iam just looking for a support group. ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Uhh ohh did u say 33 would be a problem also? Might have to join you on the support group list.

·
Registered
995 Posts
heavy duty hinges are in your future.....

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Check out the Teraflex Tire Mount kit. It's $200. I think it would handle your 94lb setup better than stock. Palehorse just installed his.

| TeraFlex Suspensions

I also have a 94lb setup with my 35s and opted for the Teraflex HD Hinge and Tire Mount kit. It will be here tomorrow and I've read it is solid as hell. I wanted to be EXTRA sure my tailgate was reinforced. I've also added a MOLLE panel to the tailgate so that also factored into my decision to go with the HD hinge.

| TeraFlex Suspensions

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I'm with ya. Been running a 63lb tire and a 19lb wheel back there for a while now. Not 93lb but close enough. It really depends on how much you wheel your jeep with the spare on the stock carrier. My recommendation would be to never run without your spare for in city driving but when you wheel, take off your spare and place it in the back of your jeep inside instead. No worries.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm with ya. Been running a 63lb tire and a 19lb wheel back there for a while now. Not 93lb but close enough. It really depends on how much you wheel your jeep with the spare on the stock carrier. My recommendation would be to never run without your spare for in city driving but when you wheel, take off your spare and place it in the back of your jeep inside instead. No worries.
That's what I plan on doing till my bumper/carrier gets here. I think the 35 will be fine on the stock carrier on the road for a couple months, but I won't wheel with it there, I'll stick it in the back. If I can lift it. LOL

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pop rivets will save your tailgate door. I've got my pop riveted and a 35" tire back there... Door skin still attached

·
Registered
892 Posts
Stock carrier is rated for 50 lbs. Your 35 is nearly double that. I wouldnt do it. Save up for the Teraflex carrier or get a bumper with carrier. If you bend up your gate you will spend that much or more fixing it! Just make sure if you put the spare in the cargo area in the meantime you strap it down. If it isnt strapped down and you rolled the Jeep it would be deadly flying around in there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
How on earth can the stock tire carrier be rated for 50lbs when these are the weights of the tire/wheels combinations offered STOCK on 2012 JKs.

Weights taken from another thread further up, if they are not accurate, my apologies. but if they are true, my sport S came from the factory with 63lbs mounted to my stock tire carrier.

225/75/16 ST = 27lbs
16" wheel = 25lbs

255/75/17 SRA = 36lbs
17" wheel = 27lbs

255/75/17 BFG KM = 49lbs
17" wheel = 27lbs

·
Registered
898 Posts
I am currently running a 35" Nitto on my stock carrier and have not had an issue "yet"! I am confident that there may be an issue in my future if I don't change it out but so far so good. If you are going to do it, check it daily and don't wheel with it on there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, the spare is back in the garage...Too damn paranoid. I briefed the wife that i may have to call for her to get it and bring it to me if i get a flat. She was super excited. She will have to get a neighbor to put the thing in her vehicle. SOOOO, if i get a flat, i will have an entire team assisting, doesnt that sound fun.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
How on earth can the stock tire carrier be rated for 50lbs when these are the weights of the tire/wheels combinations offered STOCK on 2012 JKs.

Weights taken from another thread further up, if they are not accurate, my apologies. but if they are true, my sport S came from the factory with 63lbs mounted to my stock tire carrier.

225/75/16 ST = 27lbs
16" wheel = 25lbs

255/75/17 SRA = 36lbs
17" wheel = 27lbs

255/75/17 BFG KM = 49lbs
17" wheel = 27lbs
From the 2013 manual:

Spare Tire Stowage
To remove the spare tire from the carrier, remove the tire
cover, if equipped, and remove the lug nuts with the lug
wrench turning them counterclockwise.

NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the
spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight
of 50 lbs (23 kg) including the weight of the spare tire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts