Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do a deal on a 13 JKU Sport. Black has always been my favorite color but the last time I owned a black truck I swore I'd never get black again. Looks fantastic when it's clean but looks extra crappy when it's dirty… which is usually about two days after you wash it depending on the time of year and where you live.

On the weekends I'll enjoy getting my Jeep dirty and muddy (just like I did my TJ) but during the week (going to be a daily driver now) I enjoy a clean nice looking rig to take to work.

So here I am again heavily considering a black JKU. At the opposite end of the spectrum my other favorite color is white. Obviously that's a much easier color to live with over the long haul, especially in winter when its 12 out side and the JKU will of course always have to be hand washed (soft top).

My eyes and heart say black but my head says white. The wife also says black but she's not the one who has to maintain it. Just looking for some thoughts from black owners before I make the final choice.

·
Registered
217 Posts
One of Each??? :):) Joking of course.

I like my black GC, but it is never clean.
I LOVE my white JKU and it always looks good, even with a little dust on it.

The GC can be washed and two hours later you drive it and it has road dust on it and it looks dirty again.

My choice is white.

Attachments

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I would recommend getting a color you haven't had before. I was in the same boat in 2010 when I bought my first JK. I originally wanted silver but when I got to the lot I saw a black one and changed my mind despite having owned a black vehicle before and swearing I'd never own one again. Three days later I was back at the dealer asking them If I could get the color I originally came for. I was sick at my stomach thinking I was stuck. They were great and let me exchange it no problems. I got the silver and loved it.

In 2013 I traded it in for a Commando Green because I couldn't sleep at night thinking about this color. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, I have had 5 black vehicles, 1 was a black TJ. Last year I was looking for a gray JKU and found an all black one on a local jeep lot and could not resist. I have had it almost a year now and it has been (as with all my other black vehicles) hard to keep clean, hot as hell in the heat and easily shows scratches and dings. But it looks amazing when half way clean and get compliments on it all the time. Maybe next time I will try to get away from the headaches of the color black but it just keep pulling me back in...

If you get the hard top be sure to order up some hot heads or the mopar version of the foam installation for the inside top, it made a huge difference in the heat coming from the roof on a hot summer day....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love my Black 13. But it IS a chore. I have a black 2006 Ford Five Hundred, so I knew what I was getting into when I purchased my JKU in black as well. When shined up, they look awesome! Keeping them shined? Well, as stated above, not so long-lasting. Plus any scratch in black will show through easily (found out when pulling the hard top first time).

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I don't have black, but I have a True Blue which is pretty dark. The color looks beautiful when clean, and dull and lifeless when dirty. I don't feel the need to have it super sparkly every week, so it's a fine color for me. If you think you'll be spending every weekend detailing your car, you might want the white.

Though, you could get a spray bottle with a small bit of wax mixed with water and do a quick wipe down on Sundays.

Plus, if you're handy with a paint gun and want to do something different, you could do some cool things with white and some pearl paint.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My first Jeep was black, but I traded it in 6 months after buying it for a white one, but mainly because I went from 6-speed to automatic due to my long, city roads drive to work everyday. I was originally going to get a Gecko green one instead of the white, but couldn't find one with the features I wanted & now I'm glad it worked out that way because I really like my white Jeep now & that's coming from someone that swore I'd never own a white car! I've been adding black accents to it to personalize it. I always used to think people were nuts for buying white cars....thought they would show more dirt, but they show less! I've owned several black cars before but this is my first white one. But if your heart says black, follow your heart :) Or just buy white & add black accents, like I did.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a black '11 sport. During the summer it was like riding around in a pizza oven. The umpainted black top radiated heat like crazy. With the cold air comming out of the AC, the heat coming down from the top and me sweating , I'm surprised it didn't create a mini thunder storm in there. And yes... in one day it was dirty. It got to where I didn't want to wash it because I would just be disapointed by how fast it was dirty again.
This year I moved up to a new '13 Rubicon. It's white with a white top/black fenders. It doesn't get hot and it doesn't get dirty. I'm amazed at how little cleaning time I have spent on it. It just never looks like it needs it. On a day to day basis it looks much beter than the black.
Plus.... did I mention it DOESN'T GET HOT.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I've had 2 black vehicles, an accord and the 2004 LJ in my avatar. While I had the LJ, I also had a white Yukon XL. Of those 2 colors, I would get white. It's simply a better color if you want your Jeep to look clean during the week. I got to the point on my LJ that I quit washing it because it was a waste of my time. Also, scratches and swirls show up much quicker and easier on black than on white.

That being said, my 2013 JKUS is billet, and I love it! Looks clean all the time relative to road dust and normal (non-wheeling) use. I was going to get white, but my whole family said no because I'd been driving a white Yukon XL (had 2 of them) for 11 years straight. I'm glad I made the change.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had a black '88 Chevy Beretta in '91 and swore I'd never own a black car again, ended up with a black '76 Chevy 5/4 ton that I didn't care too much about and it still frustrated me with it never looking clean, swore that would be the last one as well, then bought a dark blue '06 Charger RT that was almost as bad as the black, then I ended up with an '09 Charger SRT that was also black :doh:

Black or any dark colour look great when it's polished and out of direct sunlight, but in the sun I'll never be happy with a black vehicle or maybe I'm just too picky.

So far the Commando is great, will be washed and waxed today hopefully.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Around here with the orange mud/clay and white cars look horrible in a few days as well. This '13 JK I bought is black, its just a good looking color dirty or clean IMO, been sunny in the 90s here and the AC keeps it plenty cool with the soft top. White can look pretty dingy after a couple days but small dents and scratches dont show up like black for sure. Unless you get a lighter color top they are all like ovens sitting in the sun for a while..

Best low-maintenance color is grey, at least in these parts. Buy what you will be happy with, the black on these is pretty tough, not like a BMW where if you dry it with a terry towel it looks like you sanded it with 200 sandpaper but black is the highest maintenance for sure if you are a perfectionist.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I traded an all black Honda Accord Coupe for my Dozer JKR. It was my wife's car and looked really sharp when clean. Hottest vehicle we've ever owned. Would never buy another black vehicle.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had a black '95 corvette and will never own another black vehicle. I prefer silver because of the contrast rather than white. For my next Jeep I'm debating on Billet or White, undecided.

I think my favorite color I've owned was the '04 Rubi which was sahara tan.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't "live" with my black Jeep. I LOVE my black Jeep.

Little extra cleaning effort? Sure, but who cares? It's MY Jeep!

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
65,040 Posts
I have a Black Rubicon. The Rubicon lettering really stands out on the Black hood.
There is just something about Black on a Wrangler, that makes it look mean, even without any mods. I like it and would not want any other color.:nonono:
Just remember that the first thing that you will see every day when you walk out to your Wrangler is the color. So take your time and make sure on your choice, because then you will have to live with it!:thumb:

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a silver Xterra for the past 11 years. I want a different color I'm leaning white or red JKUR maybe even black. Although I could be persuaded to go with billet.

·
Registered
2015 Willys Wheeler W JKU and 1984 CJ
672 Posts
Black is beautiful. I'm kind of a nut cleaning/polishing my vehicles, but my wife's Sequoia is black and sees more Quick Detailer from Adam's Polishes than it does true washes. Takes me 10 minutes to quick detail her truck. Piece of cake.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
65,040 Posts
First of all, Black is not considered a color, because it has a absence of light!
Even with that being said, real men like me, "not really, because I am only 97 pounds with my shoes on" O'well, Black still gives the illusion that I am big, strong and tall, so I always chose to have one of them good looking BLACK WRANGLERS, to help make me look massive.............:eek:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts