Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm planning on picking up an 04-06 LJ soon. I just found out they come with a d44 with limited slip in the rear. So my question is my money better spent putting an arb air locker in the rear, or buying a high pinion Dana 30 for the front and put the locker in that one. Also while I have them open does it make sense to regear to 456 will it effect the limited slip in the rear if I decide to go the HP Dana 30 route? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
86 Posts
d44 with factory trac lok in rear is great

locker in front is best since u already have trac lok in rear

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Yes it is cost effective to regear at the same time you are installing lockers.
What gearing depends on whether your new LJ will be a manual or an auto, and what size tires you want to run. 4.56 will not be enough with the auto and 33's.

The HP30 is a great upgrade. The only reason I don't have one is the limiting gear ratio of 4.88.
I'm still making due with my stock d30 and 4.88's. Have not broke it yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it is cost effective to regear at the same time you are installing lockers.
What gearing depends on whether your new LJ will be a manual or an auto, and what size tires you want to run. 4.56 will not be enough with the auto and 33's.

The HP30 is a great upgrade. The only reason I don't have one is the limiting gear ratio of 4.88.
I'm still making due with my stock d30 and 4.88's. Have not broke it yet.
The one I am looking at is a 6 speed manual it currently has 33 and I'll probably stick with that for now maybe go to 35 but no larger because this will also be my dd. I have heard if you do highway driving going over 456 is kind of ruff.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well if you plan on 35s, you'll be happier with 4.88. Your revs may be a little high on 33s, but better than no power

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
What type of wheeling do you do? I would always rather have a true locker in the back as my first locker. Not to mention I am no fan of the clutch-based Tracloc LSD. Its clutch pack life is only 40-50k miles and after that it acts as an open differential.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What type of wheeling do you do? I would always rather have a true locker in the back as my first locker. Not to mention I am no fan of the clutch-based Tracloc LSD. Its clutch pack life is only 40-50k miles and after that it acts as an open differential.
Well there's some rocks mostly mud and snow. Can you replace the clutch pack. If so is it easy to do and affordable?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
It would cost less to get the Detroit Truetrac up front than to have to pay later to have the Tracloc rebuilt. Not to mention the Truetrac performs significantly better in all regards, especially on snow or ice covered roads or trails.

·
Registered
86 Posts
mine has 155k its the original trac loc and 1 tire still does not slip more then the other, im shocked !

·
Registered
507 Posts
mine has 155k its the original trac loc and 1 tire still does not slip more then the other, im shocked !
I'm shocked too, mine burnt up at 79000 and that was after 4000 miles of me having it. I'm just glad it torched before highways started getting icy. LSDs are for people who have a death wish IMO. Would rather have slippage on one tire then be disco balling across the black top when I don't. Of course I'd rather have at least a LSD when I'm off-roading. But then again I don't see much black ice at 65+ on the trails.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm shocked too, mine burnt up at 79000 and that was after 4000 miles of me having it. I'm just glad it torched before highways started getting icy. LSDs are for people who have a death wish IMO. Would rather have slippage on one tire then be disco balling across the black top when I don't. Of course I'd rather have at least a LSD when I'm off-roading. But then again I don't see much black ice at 65+ on the trails.
im in phx AZ I don't even know what rain is nevermind ice or snow !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts