Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an LJ over the weekend. It has a 4" Rough Country n2.0 lift and 33in tires. It looks like there was no SYE/CVshaft upgrade and the transfer case drop wasn't done either.

From reading numerous threads here it seems my best path is to go the SYE/CV-shaft route so I don't sacrifice ground clearance. This means i'll also need to upgrade rear control arms as well.

Short term I wanted to use the lift already installed, longer term I wanted to migrate to a RE kit with better components. Do ya'll think it's worth my money to do the SYE upgrades only to pull the kit in a year or two?

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you do the SYE it will need adjustable control arms in the rear right away, so you will be doing some upgrades sooner than you want it sounds....

But if you do some hard flexing with the rear and no SYE it will slide the factory shaft right off the rear of the t-case... Seen it happen funny to see not fun to have happen to you, it usually ruins the factory driveshaft...

So if I was you and have the money now I would just do it and a long arm kit a the same time but for a good long arm lift for the LJ is about $3,200-$3,700 these kit usually include everything and some include the SYE kit as well....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Do you have any vibrations in the driveline the way it is? Some guys have gotten away without ever adding sye and uca's or even a tc drop on the LJ due to the added length. I am not so fortunate. If yours is not vibrating I would leave it alone until you upgrade everything together. However, if there are vibes hopefully sye an uca's ar the answer cuz thats what I'm doing next

·
Registered
607 Posts
What I did and I think more people should do is piece together their lift and take the best aspects of every part they need.

Currie control arms
Rubicon express springs (you wanted an RE lift)
Bilstein shocks
JKS swaybar disconnects
Rough country rear sway links will still work

Also with a CV setup, you need an axle bracket. Something like this...

JKS Manufacturing OGS160 - JKS Manufacturing Rear Angled CV Trackbar Bracket for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with Over 3" Lift - Quadratec

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any vibrations in the driveline the way it is? Some guys have gotten away without ever adding sye and uca's or even a tc drop on the LJ due to the added length. I am not so fortunate. If yours is not vibrating I would leave it alone until you upgrade everything together. However, if there are vibes hopefully sye an uca's ar the answer cuz thats what I'm doing next
I don't believe I have any driveline vibration issue. At low speeds there might be a little vibration/hum but that could also be from the tires. At highway speeds I don't notice any vibrations.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, not a Rubicon.

I e-mailed the guys at Rough Country and they recommended just doing the SYE and CV shaft without upgrading the control arms...

·
Registered
141 Posts
If it is not vibrating why mess with it. Also if u do cv shaft and not adjustable uppers ur pinion angle will be incorrect but ill let jerry or one of the more experienced guys explain it better.

·
Registered
188 Posts
RE lift kit and customize it 4x4groupbuy.com has a deal but a kit get a free sye and CV i did that in may this year best choice ever got rid of my crappy Rough country kit heres what mine looks like now compared to before the kit

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. In my searching last night I also found this link which was very helpful:

What is a CV shaft and why do I want one? - JeepForum.com

Since I haven't got her out on the trail yet, I think that is the first order of business before I make any $$decisions. I'll have to choose a trail that doesn't require to much flex so I don't have a slip-joint mishap :eek:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Why not pull the wheels of the rear, support the rig with jackstands, and using a floorjack underneath the diff, lower the rear axle to full droop? That'll let you know if you're going to have a problem or not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why not pull the wheels of the rear, support the rig with jackstands, and using a floorjack underneath the diff, lower the rear axle to full droop? That'll let you know if you're going to have a problem or not.
Good suggestion. I'll have to give this a try.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.