Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 05 LJR and I changed the brakes rotors and pads to Powerstop recently. I never really wheeled it with stock brakes so I have no comparison. But does anyone else have issues? I was wheeling the other day and coming off a rock and I just rolled thru the brakes. I do have extra weight with armor so that could be it..... any suggested upgrades?

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Larger diameter tires give road a greater lever arm against brake

What size tires are you running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,903 Posts
Black magic pads and centric premium rotors for your front brakes works great up to 35's

Vanco Big Brake kit if you really want stopping power.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Running 35's

·
Registered
397 Posts
Lifted rig, more weight due to armor and larger wheels.. and didn't upgrade brakes??? Vanco Big brake kit, at least Black magic pads & rotors....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lifted rig, more weight due to armor and larger wheels.. and didn't upgrade brakes??? Vanco Big brake kit, at least Black magic pads & rotors....
I thought upgrading to the Powerstop Z36 would work.....

Z36 Carbon-Fiber Ceramic formula offers extreme braking performance that is designed for trucks or 4x4s without sacrificing everyday drivability.

·
Registered
884 Posts
When I purchased my LJ it had 35" tires and Power Stop brakes. No bueno.

Since then I have re-geared from 4.88 to 5.38, installed Yukon manual hubs, and converted to the Vanco 16" Big Brake Kit with Black Magic pads. Muy bueno.

At the very least, try a set of Black Magic pads for your front brakes. No need to change rotors for the experiment, which will tell you whether you need the larger calipers and rotors or whether the performance Black Magic pads will do.

Vanco Big Brake Kits - Blackmagicbrakes.com

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have to agree, even for my JK the difference from old stock to new z36 was disappointing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Did you do a few HARD decelerations from ~60-10 after the swap to bed the pads? If so, maybe you had mud in them from wheeling? Or an auto with a high idle in 4lo fighting the brakes? On a few occasions, I've scuffed 35's on dry pavement with stock brakes. The big brake kits and fancy pads give better initial bite and modulation, but even stockers should be able to lock up if you step on them like you mean it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I’ve got 35’s on 15x8’s and the Vanco 16” BBK and Black Magic Pads were well worth the investment. If you’ve got 17” wheels go bigger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts