Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on the SW1-TJ and the SW1-LJ. I know the SW1-LJ is longer for LJ models, but it looks like where it turns down in the back it might block a little view when looking in the rearview mirror. The SW1-TJ appears to only extend about a foot or so past the speaker pod and/or sound bar, and that's why I'm considering that one.

For anyone with the SW1-LJ, does it block your rearview mirror view any?

I also have 1 inch seat risers, so that makes me wonder if it with affect the rearview mirror view too.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have the SW1-LJ. It is noticeable in the rear view mirror. But it has never caused a problem
I also have the SW1-LJ. Yes it does come down pretty far in the rear, but It also protects rear seat passengers. The TJ will not. When I do want a better rear view, I simply tuck the last "segment" up under and its perfect, and still protects the rear seat better than a shorter TJ version.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the SW1-LJ. It is noticeable in the rear view mirror. But it has never caused a problem
I also have the SW1-LJ. Yes it does come down pretty far in the rear, but It also protects rear seat passengers. The TJ will not. When I do want a better rear view, I simply tuck the last "segment" up under and its perfect, and still protects the rear seat better than a shorter TJ version.
My wife and I never have passengers, kids are all grown and on their own. In fact, the rear seat and seat belts are hanging on the wall in my workshop. LOL But, that's not to say I'd never have it back in and have passengers. I didn't think of tucking the last segment under. Do you just fold it under and reattach it to the roll bars? Any problems with it catching air and ballooning up or anything?

Thank for the replies. : )

·
Registered
620 Posts
... I didn't think of tucking the last segment under. Do you just fold it under and reattach it to the roll bars? Any problems with it catching air and ballooning up or anything?

Thank for the replies. : )
Yes, just fold it under and reattach.

No, no ballooning because there's not much airflow in the underside & its stretched. Tested at interstate speed no issues in the rear. The front was another matter regardless if the rear was tucked or not. Temporarily removed the shade for that trip.

You can actually decide how much you want to tuck under :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ok. Makes sense. Thanks for the info.
Tom, if you can wait a day, I'm going to install it and do a full assessment at all speeds. I vaguely recall the center bungee mount above the rear view mirror was my concern at highway speed last year but I need to re-confirm. It works well at low speeds.

Hasn't been hot enough in MI yet. I'm still using my seat heater and HVAC on some days especially for the morning commute.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom, if you can wait a day, I'm going to install it and do a full assessment at all speeds. I vaguely recall the center bungee mount above the rear view mirror was my concern at highway speed last year but I need to re-confirm. It works well at low speeds.

Hasn't been hot enough in MI yet. I'm still using my seat heater and HVAC on some days especially for the morning commute.
Thanks for the offer, but I ordered one this morning. I ended up ordering the SW1-TJ. I appeared in pictures that I found that the SW1-TJ had grommets to attach right after the sound pods where the SW1-LJ didn't, and I liked that. I'd still be interested in hearing your results though.

I ordered a new SuperTop NX on Friday (only had the aftermarket hardtop), so I think it will be great to have this sunshade under it for when I want to drop the top. I've had that hard top for a few weeks now and today we took about a 60 mile ride today to Dairy Queen then one of the State Parks nearby. It was hot here in South Carolna and that shade would have been nice to have. LOL

·
Registered
620 Posts
I meant to say I've had that hard top OFF for a few weeks now.
So have I, early May. That's why I'm using the seat heater and A/C vents on warm :)

In fact I haven't put the soft top up yet !

I won't be installing the Spider Shade anytime soon. We are predicting rain on an off for the next week, so, its back to the truck for the commute.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts