Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, my LJ has a replacement Bestop Trektop from the previous owner. Top is in good shape but I don't like the slant back as it takes up some precious cargo space for luggage and such (I've built my own storage box in the back). Question...to go back to the squared-off version, should I try to find some OEM hardware and buy replacement fabric or buy the whole kit? Not sure what the pros and cons are to the OEM hardware vs the aftermarket. Also, is my only option Bestop or are there others? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,754 Posts
I will disagree with you a bit on the slant taking up storage space. In order to use the slight space from the tailgate up between the current rear window position and that of the squared off top, you would have to be stacking stuff in the area that should not be blocked for safety purposes.

That being said, if, and only if, you can find an LJ OEM top frame that is in good shape, you could then install the frame and use a replacement top (fabric and windows only).

The only source I see for a replacement top is Bestop, which apparently no longer sells the replacement top (fabric and windows only), while the full installation which also includes a new frame is $1150. Google for a replacement top for an unlimited took me to ExtremeTerrain which shows them in stock for $900. (They are no longer on the Bestop site.)

There is not a wide selection of tops since there are so few TJ Unlimiteds that need soft tops.

·
Registered
262 Posts
They show up used sometimes - here is one for $200 listed in Derby Kansas, with what appears to be all the frame and hardware. Not in great shape but you can get windows.

That said, the space gained is nice, but you don't want stuff leaning on the soft top or windows - they will break/crack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is my issue. When I strap my luggage to the top of my storage box it rubs the rear window. The luggage is low enough for me too see over but still rubs.

Thanks for the thoguhts.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is my issue. When I strap my luggage to the top of my storage box it rubs the rear window. The luggage is low enough for me too see over but still rubs.

Thanks for the thoguhts.
Keep an eye out on places like FB Marketplace and Craigslist. They will occasionally pop up for sale with all the hardware included. You can even try putting out a "wanted" post to have people reach out to you, if you're not in a hurry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts