Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious on what some of you LJ owners are towing weight wise. I'm stock with 31's, 3.73's, D44 rear....etc. My wife and I are wanting a small camper and I'm curious what your experience is. I know it's rated at 3500#, but I know that's WAY too much.

· Registered
1,910 Posts
I've pulled some pretty heavy stuff. I never put it on a scale, but my enclosed hauler trailer weighs almost 1000lb empty and I filled it full moving to a new house a number of times. It does fine, but go slow because it brakes much slower. A couple times I said "oh sh. this is heavy" when I moved the first 5' in 1st gear. That load had a bunch of metal. Go with a hard sided pop up and you will be fine.

· Knows a couple things...
2004 Wrangler TJ, 42RLE auto trans. F/R lockers, 5.38 gears, Warn Winch, Currie 4" Suspension
50,061 Posts
Pop-up tent trailers tow very well behind Wranglers, especially so behind the longer wheelbase Unlimiteds. I know I'm very happy with my Fleetwood Taos pop-up.

· Registered
8,954 Posts
Heaviest I pull is a 6x10 enclosed v-nose trailer, weighing around 2500-2700lbs when fully loaded. I also have a Vanco Big Brake kit (dual piston 48mm calipers + Black Magic Brake pads), 10" drum brakes on the trailer and a trailer brake controller in the Jeep. I have heavy rate rear springs with AirLift load leveling airbags to help control the weight & tendency to bottom out. I've got a heavy duty rear bumper with integrated hitch, and frame tie-ins. Trailer also has a friction sway control bar if necessary, but so far trailer sway hasn't been an issue.

So stopping & controlling the trailer is handled...but now the problem has become maintaining speed. Big loss of power & heating up the engine/trans when climbing mountains & hills. Even with 4.88 gears & a 1-ton trans cooler...

....so I'm currently searching for a used 3/4 ton diesel, which will climb those mountain passes without straining one bit.

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ yeah man I'm trying to find a small lightweight travel trailer to pull to appease my wife to go on trail rides with...some of you may ask why...well the way I see it is the more I keep her involved the more I get to spend on mods

· Registered
8,954 Posts
^ yeah man I'm trying to find a small lightweight travel trailer to pull to appease my wife to go on trail rides with...some of you may ask why...well the way I see it is the more I keep her involved the more I get to spend on mods
here's what I built for camping...

It tows easier than my enclosed full size trailer, and I can see around it much better. You definitely know its behind you going up the mountains and it needs more downshifting, but it's tolerable enough to drive long distances.

· Knows a couple things...
2004 Wrangler TJ, 42RLE auto trans. F/R lockers, 5.38 gears, Warn Winch, Currie 4" Suspension
50,061 Posts
My wife barely puts up with this, you may want to consider one size (barely) larger which normally includes things like a forced air heater & hot shower which mine doesn't have.

Attachments

· Registered
90 Posts
Hurst I am surprised that you did not use metal studs wherever possible for weight savings. Not sure of cost differences between wood and metal. I do like the idea to restore it. Keep us posted on progress

· Registered
37 Posts
Thanks guys! I went with the wood to keep it close to stock spec. These tin cans can fetch $8 to 25k if done right. I will keep you posted for sure. I'm worried about the weight on the tj. Oh well, I will do some testing.

· Registered
165 Posts
Wow, this is good stuff! Love that Shasta. My Dad pulled and Aristocrat 'LoLiner' with a late 70's CJ7, bone stock. It was a long time ago, but I think it was a dog on grades and I believe the Jeep had electric brakes and a weight distributing hitch. Tiny trailer, like 15' Loliner: 1800 lbs. Hitch wt 225 lbs (from web).

· Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, this is good stuff! Love that Shasta. My Dad pulled and Aristocrat 'LoLiner' with a late 70's CJ7, bone stock. It was a long time ago, but I think it was a dog on grades and I believe the Jeep had electric brakes and a weight distributing hitch. Tiny trailer, like 15' Loliner: 1800 lbs. Hitch wt 225 lbs (from web).
Yeah that Shasta is a classic..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.