Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Would you trade your LJ for a TJ all things being equal?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All things being equal, would you trade your LJ for a TJ? just curious if any said yes, why. I guess an answer to, would you trade your TJ for an LJ would be interesting as well but not in the poll

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
all things being equal refers to equipment or mods. I agree a TJ is not equal to an LJ heads up lol

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IF you have an LJ and wouldn't trade, why not. If you don't already have an LJ, the poll isn't relevant to you. (unless you clarify like Phil did lol)

·
Registered
20 Posts
My guess is that most people bought the LJ for specific reasons, since you kind of have to search them out as opposed to a TJ. Think your poll will be a lot of 'No'. And no I wouldn't... I looked for an LJ because I wanted the longer wheelbase, more interior room, better towing capacity.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
this is like asking "blonde or brunette".....the poll results will be meaningless (no hate intended towards the effort!).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Got an LJ two weeks ago because, like mapper said, I wanted (in this order) more towing capacity, more interior room and better ride (for long trips). When we first broached the idea of the LJ (for towing reasons) I originally fought the idea of moving from the TJ to an LJ as I didn't like the looks of the LJ (in my defense, I had only seen - locally - stock on stock wheels with the stock soft top). But as the other reasons started popping up (after two long trips - one to the beach, one to the mountains) and the ride/interior room issues started showing their ugliness in the TJ, I started accepting that I needed to make the move and started checking out ads. Once I saw what I eventually bought, I was hooked - with a frameless top and 33's, they look pretty damn good. The drive home cinched how great the ride is compared to the TJ (admittedly, my TJ is a '97 with 170k while the LJ is an '06 with 60k).

All that to say ... no, I wouldn't trade my LJ for a TJ

·
Registered
107 Posts
No, the extra room is soooo nice!

I, like most, have always wanted a jeep. Unfortunately TJs aren't practical enough for me as a daily driver. The LJ is small enough that it doesn't look like a hummer (JKU), but big enough to make life convenient.

·
Registered
432 Posts
When I was ready for a Jeep, I went into it looking for an LJ. I needed the room and personally, I do not like the JKUs. (Not bashing, just a preference.) I have three large dogs and they love to go for rides. No way they are fitting in a TJ. At least not all of them at once…

Not to mention I am in hurricane country, so for evacuation purposes, the extra room makes sense. They all aint gonna fit into Wifey's little coupe.

Plus they are relatively "unique" in that you don't see them that often. So when you make them your own, they stick out even more. I have had more conversations about it being an LJ than anything else.

Sure parts are more and other things can be impossible to find. But it is worth it every time I walk out to see her or sneak a glance as I walk away.

Oh and the longer wheelbase and that stock Dana 44 in the back doesn't hurt either when I am out wheeling. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Considered an LJ when I was looking for a Jeep last fall. You don't pay a premium for them here despite being fairly rare.

The extra towing capacity and increased stowage capacity would have been nice but I just cant get past the look of them. To each his/her own.

·
Registered
181 Posts
No.

I specifically targeted LJs in my search last year. Love it for the obvious reasons (size, space, towing) but also for the relative uniqueness compared to the TJ. If the LJ was never invented by Jeep, I'm sure I would own a TJ and love it all the same but now I am proud to be a member of the LJ club!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Love my LJ. Was looking at TJ when the dealer suggested I look at a newer one that came in earlier in the week. And it was a rubicon. Paid a little but I love it. Can't wait to take the top off.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
After I sold my first TJ I swore to myself I'd buy an LJ next time. I lied to myself. The main reason being $$. I wanted something I could get with cash, and not get into trouble w/ the wife...LJ's being newer and less common made that challenging...so I've got another TJ. Maybe next time :p

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I never tow and have basically no use for any more storage than my TJ has, it holds my toolbox and backpack and a few friends, so I'm good. Plus the turning radius is a nice bonus.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts