Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think about an 06 LJ Rubicon, with a manual, and 195k+ miles?

It has a restored title and seller is asking 14k.

Has 35s, on board air, some armor, stock axles, both sets of doors, soft top, chromoly shafts, winch, RE lift...supposedly everything works.

Guess it has a good body and frame, but of course some damage. Haven't seen it yet in person or had it inspected.

If it checks out is it worth it?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have 3 salvage title Jeeps. My rule of thumb is a Salvage title is worth 60% of a clean title regardless of how well the work was done to repair it. And aftermarket add ons are at a 50% value to the vehicle at best. Without seeing the vehicle I would not pay over $10K and at that level it would have to be EXACTLY what I was looking for. I manual trans with 195K miles will need a clutch and probably other maintenance so factory that in too. And rust is a huge factor also....for that price it better be spotless.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
For $14,000 you can get one with lower mileage and a clean title. DO NOT buy salvage title junk. You will never be able to sell it down the road.

Reactions: Reptile99

·
Registered
405 Posts
Some excellent advice here. Back in my days in the “car biz” branded title (salvage, flood, recovered theft) we took book value and cut it in half. Even then we’d rarely keep the vehicle (unless ultra desirable) and when we ran them through the auction they would typically do less than 50% of book. Always had to factor this stuff in when evaluating the trade and deal overall.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some excellent advice here. Back in my days in the “car biz” branded title (salvage, flood, recovered theft) we took book value and cut it in half. Even then we’d rarely keep the vehicle (unless ultra desirable) and when we ran them through the auction they would typically do less than 50% of book. Always had to factor this stuff in when evaluating the trade and deal overall.
Yeah let's say it's fair condition due to title, fair-excellent KBB value was like 6-9.5k. Out west jeeps and LJ especially market is so high though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 3 salvage title Jeeps. My rule of thumb is a Salvage title is worth 60% of a clean title regardless of how well the work was done to repair it. And aftermarket add ons are at a 50% value to the vehicle at best. Without seeing the vehicle I would not pay over $10K and at that level it would have to be EXACTLY what I was looking for. I manual trans with 195K miles will need a clutch and probably other maintenance so factory that in too. And rust is a huge factor also....for that price it better be spotless.
I was thinking 10k might've been a good offer, if it was solid as stated and everything mechanically was sound. Normally I wouldn't consider any non clean buy on any car, but an LJ for me would be a luxury toy.

Figured I'd get it inspected and order a Carfax.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For $14,000 you can get one with lower mileage and a clean title. DO NOT buy salvage title junk. You will never be able to sell it down the road.
Normally I wouldn't, but it would be an off road toy and luxury vehicle. Always wanted an LJ. Found a clean one in CA with 58k mi and 35s, 4.88 gears, KBB was 16-17 high, but dealer was asking 26k! I think I'd rather have the rubi over the reg but I'd consider both.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Normally I wouldn't, but it would be an off road toy and luxury vehicle. Always wanted an LJ. Found a clean one in CA with 58k mi and 35s, 4.88 gears, KBB was 16-17 high, but dealer was asking 26k! I think I'd rather have the rubi over the reg but I'd consider both.
If it already has the aftermarket goodies, whether it says “rubicon” on the hood or not, wouldn’t concern me.

I am in the same boat....... but I am looking for a very specific LJ, that I will probably never find, nor be willing to pay the price of entry for.....

Low mileage (or “lower”) Electric Lime Green Rubi with manual and half doors, all stock, or close enough that I could bring it back to stock.

A guy can dream

·
Registered
58 Posts
It really depends on WHY it was salvaged. Get an accident report. Run the vin through the national database, it's free. If it's a flood car dont buy it unless you REALLY know what you are doing (VINCheck® | National Insurance Crime Bureau). Do a google search for the vin also, if it was salvage it will show up on the auction sites. I bought a 2008 911 that was salvaged cause the top was cut. My last TJ was salvaged cause the it got rear ended and the tailgate got smashed in. Many reasons for something to be salvaged and many reasons to not buy one. But if you know what you are doing and buying there are many reasons to buy one. If selling, just be upfront with a buyer. Always helps to have any before and after pictures. Around here even a salvaged TJ with no major frame rust will sell for more then $8k assuming average condition & miles.

with that amount of miles any kind of accident is going to cause a car to be salvaged by the insurance company. I think they are asking too much, worth maybe $10k if everything is in excellent shape.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I met a local guy yesterday that bought a rust free LJR here for $10,000 with a clean title. LJ's aren't worth anymore around here. The non Rubi ones sell for the same price as a TJ.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It really depends on WHY it was salvaged. Get an accident report. Run the vin through the national database, it's free. If it's a flood car dont buy it unless you REALLY know what you are doing (VINCheck® | National Insurance Crime Bureau). Do a google search for the vin also, if it was salvage it will show up on the auction sites. I bought a 2008 911 that was salvaged cause the top was cut. My last TJ was salvaged cause the it got rear ended and the tailgate got smashed in. Many reasons for something to be salvaged and many reasons to not buy one. But if you know what you are doing and buying there are many reasons to buy one. If selling, just be upfront with a buyer. Always helps to have any before and after pictures. Around here even a salvaged TJ with no major frame rust will sell for more then $8k assuming average condition & miles.

with that amount of miles any kind of accident is going to cause a car to be salvaged by the insurance company. I think they are asking too much, worth maybe $10k if everything is in excellent shape.
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll still check it out and get it inspected and do a vin check. I was thinking 10k if everything was good mechanically and it has the rubi stuff. It's definitely not a perfect jeep tho.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll still check it out and get it inspected and do a vin check. I was thinking 10k if everything was good mechanically and it has the rubi stuff. It's definitely not a perfect jeep tho.
:(

Reactions: Dropkick Murphys

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with the others...I’d stay away from the salvage. At that price point, you can find a LOT of better options.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Seller os asking $14k, and OP is saying he would offer $10k.

I don’t think a transaction is gonna happen anyways

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate everyone's input. Mostly I'm just looking in case something pops up. Sounds like it's best to keep looking. I'm not in a hurry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
PLEASE don't listen to his BS. A salvage title Jeep in perfect condition is worth LESS than half of KBB private party retail. I can get you a nice Jeep much cheaper. I've found Jeeps for other forum members at great prices!
Okay, now I know who to ask for help in finding one!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Maybe easy in other states, but in MA the RMV is really tough on approving salvage title vehicles for the road and there are only a couple of locations (I believe there is only one for the western half of the state) they do these salvage inspections, so people wait many hours for an inspection. In my state, it would be a big gamble to buy one with a salvage title. It would really suck to pay for something, get it home and find out it can't be registered!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts