Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a HP30 I'm putting in my TJ, it has a lock rite in it, My LP30 has the Trutrac, any thoughts on the Lock rite? I hear Trutrac is better for durability and street use when I do go on the road.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
The best decision between the Truetrac and Lockrite is based on your driving needs. If it's more important you be able to get around on Michigan's ice & snow covered paved streets while using 4x4 during the winter, you can't beat the Truetrac.

If it's for offroad use during non-winter months, the Lockrite would be a better choice.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm curious Jerry, is the automatic locker squirrly in the snow and ice? We had just a couple days of slushy roads when I bought my most recent which the seller said has lock rites front and rear. It seemed difficult to control in 4hi like it wanted to pull in its own direction in intermittent traction situations.

Sorry I'm new to having lockers.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, it gets parked all winter, sees mostly off road but I'd say 70/30 for off road/on road.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
I'm curious Jerry, is the automatic locker squirrly in the snow and ice? We had just a couple days of slushy roads when I bought my most recent which the seller said has lock rites front and rear. It seemed difficult to control in 4hi like it wanted to pull in its own direction in intermittent traction situations.

Sorry I'm new to having lockers.
Rear automatic lockers can be squirrely on icy roads, especially if you give it gas going around a corner. Apply neutral gas when turning corners, don't make sudden change to the throttle or abruptly slow down or speed up. Driving with neutral throttle around curves and corners makes it easiest for the rear locker to unlock for corners when the streets are slick from ice or snow.

The front locker is only an issue if you're in 4x4. If you're in 4Hi or 4Lo on ice, the front locker won't be able to unlock so it will cause understeer around corners. Stay in 2wd on the streets with front lockers even if there is a lot of snow or ice... don't forget most cars around you are 2wd. I'd only use 4x4 temporarily if I was trying to get unstuck from snow or ice. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
possibly have one for sale with 410 gears for LP30 TJ axle

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are a few pictures of the CV shafts that came in my HP30, the others are from my TJ LP30.

any ideas what the CV's might be out of?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts