Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As odd as this sounds, I am wondering if my local dealer wants my business? Last Friday (11/9), I went in to talk. I told him he did not have anything I wanted on the lot. There is however one about 80 miles away. If not available, I will order one. Told him about TL and USAA. He seemed fine with it.

Here is where it gets odd. My trade in. 2011 Subaru. After they did there thing, they did not give me a price. Another Manager came out and said "since your car is so new and price fluctuation, I want to shop your car around to get the best price". We will call you. Heard crickets since then. Left a message yesterday, no return call when usually you cannot get them to stop calling!

Call B.S. and move on or give it a few more days? It's just I never heard that before. Is shopping a car common? Usually they are quick to low ball your trade, write it in big numbers, circle it and then the negotiations begin. (What sucks is the are 2.5 mi from my house).

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Nothing to stop you from looking at other dealers while you see if they get back with you.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I'd take a ride to the dealer 80 miles away and deal with them.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Call them back and make some calls to other dealers.

Wranglers just aren't that hard to sell. They move very well, so sometimes salesmen get lazy.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I'd take a ride to the dealer 80 miles away and deal with them.
That's what I did. Local dealer didn't have a JK in the color or with the options I wanted on the lot. The salesman was honest to deal with; they had one already on order with what I wanted and said I could have first right of refusal when it arrived. Another dealer 140 miles away had an exact match and excellent trade-in so they got my business. Negotiated via email during the week, drove up on a Saturday morning to close the deal.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It's funny how these dealers deal and behave when your spending your hard earned money. It seems like many do not try to earn your business. The two Jeep dealers closest to us with the model/options we wanted weren't so inclined to deal and played games. With regard to one, it was like a "used car dealer" using every BS trick in the book. Child games. We walked out and said to ourselves no matter what they come back with, not going to give them our money. Went shopping at another dealer that was about 15 miles down the road and that dealer had the car we wanted and was all but too happy to make a deal and treated the negotiations with respect. The funny thing is, after we had our new Jeep home for a few days, the first dealer calls wanting to get our business. The salesman leaves a message on my office phone using his cell phone and the caller ID was "Kiss My A__" (all letters were present on it). It made my secretary laugh when she saw the caller ID flash up and let it roll to voice mail, and I also thought it was funny but odd. That mentality of having that caller ID fit that dealer and it reaffirmed our decision not to give them our money. Take your money to where the dealer wants to earn your business and recognizes they are in a customer service business. You'll feel better about it in the end.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
list your subby on Craigslist and that way you don't have to deal with a trade. I have had great luck selling that way. Dealers now days do have to be careful on offering trades on newer cars because of the poor market so they have to check auction prices and some times that takes a while. I would hit them up again and see what they found out and in the mean time run a CL ad and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Hansen said:
It's funny how these dealers deal and behave when your spending your hard earned money. It seems like many do not try to earn your business. The two Jeep dealers closest to us with the model/options we wanted weren't so inclined to deal and played games. With regard to one, it was like a "used car dealer" using every BS trick in the book. Child games. We walked out and said to ourselves no matter what they come back with, not going to give them our money. Went shopping at another dealer that was about 15 miles down the road and that dealer had the car we wanted and was all but too happy to make a deal and treated the negotiations with respect. The funny thing is, after we had our new Jeep home for a few days, the first dealer calls wanting to get our business. The salesman leaves a message on my office phone using his cell phone and the caller ID was "Kiss My A__" (all letters were present on it). It made my secretary laugh when she saw the caller ID flash up and let it roll to voice mail, and I also thought it was funny but odd. That mentality of having that caller ID fit that dealer and it reaffirmed our decision not to give them our money. Take your money to where the dealer wants to earn your business and recognizes they are in a customer service business. You'll feel better about it in the end.
You should take a picture of that caller ID thing and forward it to the owner of the dealership and to Jeep and see how funny they think it is.

I made it clear to the dealership a mile away from me that I wasn't paying sticker for my Jeep and drive 200+ miles a day at work so a 100 mile drive to save 2,500 wasn't a big issue for me. They apparently thought I was kidding and I drove the 100 miles to get my deal done and will gladly do it again tomorrow if I need to.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
list your subby on Craigslist and that way you don't have to deal with a trade. I have had great luck selling that way. Dealers now days do have to be careful on offering trades on newer cars because of the poor market so they have to check auction prices and some times that takes a while. I would hit them up again and see what they found out and in the mean time run a CL ad and see what happens.
Hi there. As much as I would like to run my Subie on CL, I cannot because I may have to order one. 6-8week wait. My luck I would sell the Subie tomorrow!

Yeah, I will definitely peruse the other dealerships. I just found it odd that they dragged their feet this long.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I did. Local dealer didn't have a JK in the color or with the options I wanted on the lot. The salesman was honest to deal with; they had one already on order with what I wanted and said I could have first right of refusal when it arrived. Another dealer 140 miles away had an exact match and excellent trade-in so they got my business. Negotiated via email during the week, drove up on a Saturday morning to close the deal.

I shot that dealership an email for availability. See what happens. Once email is established, I will make it very clear no games, no bait and switch etc. Sure, we have it come on down.....oops somebody bought it, but we have this... :whistling:

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I was in contact with one dealer here that seemed like it would work. The salesman was nice, not pushy, but he did lowball (expected) my trade, and then he seemed more interested when we had glanced over a Patriot then when we said we wanted a JKU - maybe more rebated for them? I don't know. Then came the issue of what we wanted vs what they had on the lot. it broke down after that. He supposedly couldn't find anything on a lot in the whole nation on their system that matched, suggested we settle, and gave us 'close' matches - that weren't close at all. We talked about ordering one but we were told a deposit would be required. I didn't budge, we started shopping around.

I had Pat at Field's as a backup option, my family lives in Chicago, I could easily roll a trip up there into picking up the Jeep and it wouldn't hurt us at all. I wanted to go locally if I could to save a bit in travel time though.

I went to another dealer in the area and found a more mod friendly crowd. Some of the guys had older Wranglers as well and they seemed to be more in touch with Jeepers. I told them the list of options we were looking for, my girl made it a bit harder by adding power windows - even though we didn't want the group. We also wanted Billet or Commando even though neither had arrived in the area yet. Our new dealer did what we would expect, a simple online inventory search which gave us a couple options. We were weighing the options and colors, and they found one that was in a railyard that matched 97% of what we wanted. It had the S package which I didn't want, but she wanted the power windows. Aside from that, everything else was good. I said I wanted to see the two colors first before deciding, and decided to wait. A few days later I got a call to come in a see a Commando they just had arrive for another customer. We went to look at it, and it looked great with the rain and clouds that day, but we decided to go for billet instead. A few days later I get the call they had our Jeep in, I laugh and we head over to see what they found. The shipped the billet from the railyard in Austin, TX taking a chance we would bite. They were right. We spent a few days (yes, days) working out the whole deal and all the paperwork - blame our odd work schedules plus they gave us time to take out items in the TJ. That service got them a nice TJ in trade that I know they made money on selling (it also sold two days after they got the title on it).

Service is a requirement, if we don't get good service we don't spend money anymore. It may sound cheap and sleazy, but one reason this dealer won us over from the start is that they had sandwiches, chips, and drinks the first day we came out to look. If they hadn't been doing that on that night, we would have only had 15-20 minutes to look before I had to leave so I would have time to get dinner before work. When we stopped in to finalize paperwork on a Saturday they were grilling burgers and hotdogs. Winner. It may be an old tactic, but there were a few dealers that didn't even offer a drink to us when we were looking, and we kept looking - elsewhere.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was in contact with one dealer here that seemed like it would work. The salesman was nice, not pushy, but he did lowball (expected) my trade, and then he seemed more interested when we had glanced over a Patriot then when we said we wanted a JKU - maybe more rebated for them? I don't know. Then came the issue of what we wanted vs what they had on the lot. it broke down after that. He supposedly couldn't find anything on a lot in the whole nation on their system that matched, suggested we settle, and gave us 'close' matches - that weren't close at all. We talked about ordering one but we were told a deposit would be required. I didn't budge, we started shopping around.

I had Pat at Field's as a backup option, my family lives in Chicago, I could easily roll a trip up there into picking up the Jeep and it wouldn't hurt us at all. I wanted to go locally if I could to save a bit in travel time though.

I went to another dealer in the area and found a more mod friendly crowd. Some of the guys had older Wranglers as well and they seemed to be more in touch with Jeepers. I told them the list of options we were looking for, my girl made it a bit harder by adding power windows - even though we didn't want the group. We also wanted Billet or Commando even though neither had arrived in the area yet. Our new dealer did what we would expect, a simple online inventory search which gave us a couple options. We were weighing the options and colors, and they found one that was in a railyard that matched 97% of what we wanted. It had the S package which I didn't want, but she wanted the power windows. Aside from that, everything else was good. I said I wanted to see the two colors first before deciding, and decided to wait. A few days later I got a call to come in a see a Commando they just had arrive for another customer. We went to look at it, and it looked great with the rain and clouds that day, but we decided to go for billet instead. A few days later I get the call they had our Jeep in, I laugh and we head over to see what they found. The shipped the billet from the railyard in Austin, TX taking a chance we would bite. They were right. We spent a few days (yes, days) working out the whole deal and all the paperwork - blame our odd work schedules plus they gave us time to take out items in the TJ. That service got them a nice TJ in trade that I know they made money on selling (it also sold two days after they got the title on it).

Service is a requirement, if we don't get good service we don't spend money anymore. It may sound cheap and sleazy, but one reason this dealer won us over from the start is that they had sandwiches, chips, and drinks the first day we came out to look. If they hadn't been doing that on that night, we would have only had 15-20 minutes to look before I had to leave so I would have time to get dinner before work. When we stopped in to finalize paperwork on a Saturday they were grilling burgers and hotdogs. Winner. It may be an old tactic, but there were a few dealers that didn't even offer a drink to us when we were looking, and we kept looking - elsewhere.
Indeed. It really is the little things that go a long way. I'm glad that you also stuck to your guns. I will not be pushed into something I don't want or settle for "almost". I reserve "almost" for horseshoes and hand grenades.

I talked to another dealer today. Told her that there was nothing within 200 miles that met my specs and will most likely order. Right off the bat it was "we will get you down to the lot to see what we have and see if anything is close" (that almost again). It irritates me that they don't LISTEN to what you are saying. My very first inquiry into a JK search; emailed the guy that it wasn't quite what I was looking for. His reply, will try to find a Jeep GRAND CHEROKEE that you will like. Fail and goodbye.

Bottom line, I don't expect them to kiss my ass. However, they are in a customer service oriented business. All I ask is be fair, no games and listen to what the potential customers are saying and be responsive.

In any event, I hope to be able to add my own "just ordered...." by this weekend
:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Its amazing that a lot of new car dealerships don`t realize that service has almost everything to do with customers dealing there (or maybe they do?). Most often customers have 3 or 4 dealerships within a 50 mile radius they can go to, to get the same vehicle. They`re doing themselves a disservice by not providing the best customer service possible IMO.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its amazing that a lot of new car dealerships don`t realize that service has almost everything to do with customers dealing there (or maybe they do?). Most often customers have 3 or 4 dealerships within a 50 mile radius they can go to, to get the same vehicle. They`re doing themselves a disservice by not providing the best customer service possible IMO.
Amen! :thumb: The old saying that first impressions are everything is true and it applies. A dealership that sours a customer; they just lost that customer for life and that customer is going to tell his friends or anyone who listens. Reputation is pre-sale, post sale and service. I will not buy from someone who tells me I will like a Grand Cherokee when I want a JKS. I will then be very suspicious of post sale and their service department.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Get your financing first.

Then, get the fax number of the fleet sales manager of every Jeep dealer in the area and fax them a RFQ [Request For Quote] on the spec'ed out new Jeep you know you want and are willing to order, if necessary. Let them know what you consider a fair profit and that you do not want to spend hours negotiating with salespeople, junior ass't. sales managers, GSMs, F&I people, etc. Inform them that you have cash or independent financing in place.

Take the best deal and then meet with the sales person. If everything is good, place your order or buy the Jeep right then.

Ask them if they are willing to buy your Subi after the deal is finalized. If not, market it to other dealers, Auto Trader, Craigslist, or similar outlets.

This saves everyone time, aggravation, gas, and the like; if you know exactly what you want. It is how I bought my '13 JKU and it worked well.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
The Subaru is a regional/niche car. In Alaska, Colorado, and certain other regions with snow and the Subi will sell. Other areas, not so popular.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
Hi there. As much as I would like to run my Subie on CL, I cannot because I may have to order one. 6-8week wait. My luck I would sell the Subie tomorrow!

Yeah, I will definitely peruse the other dealerships. I just found it odd that they dragged their feet this long.
Here is a trick that has always worked in my favor. First negotiate a price for your jeep based on a no trade after that price is locked in then negotiate the price for your trade-in. about 2 weeks before your new vehicle is due in put your ad on craigslist for 2000 more then your offered trade and as the days dwindle down come down a little bit on price every two days or so. I have done this many times every time with in a day or two of getting my new vehicle my old one sells and I end up 1500-2000 a head of the game. Not sure why it works but it does. I think one reason is there is not as much pressure to sell your car as you know that you have a guaranteed trade value.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts