Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
It’s a gamble everything time I leave my house. 4 days in a row right now with no doors.

Usually it rains enough here in western pa I might as well keep the doors on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I would be more worried about being involved in an accident. For example, someone runs a red light and "T-Bones" you. All you need is for the police report to mention that you had your doors removed, in willful violation of the law, and suddenly you might find yourself unable to recover for stuff like medical costs or injuries.

·
Super Moderator
5,332 Posts
We drove up into PA a couple weekends ago. The weather was beautiful, and when we left down here in MD almost every Jeep we saw was running doorless. Then we got into PA, and suddenly almost every Jeep had doors on. I explained to the wife why that likely is, and pointed out that we were safe (MD plate). But I still feel bad for the guys with PA plates.
But I have to say, if I was living in PA I would fight this, as they say it is against PA vehicle code but it is not. PA vehicle code says "A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment". It clearly says that the vehicle must be "equipped" with doors of the original type as fitted by the manufacturer. It says "equipped", not "fitted with". There is a difference. Jeep equipped JK's and JKU's with removable doors. Mine has removable doors. Sometimes my removable doors are in my shed, other times they are on the Jeep. They are the doors my Jeep is equipped with. I would show the officer a picture of my doors hanging in my shed. Equipped is a word with a specific definition. It is not the same definition as the word fitted or installed. Being "equipped" does not mean the doors are installed. If it was required to have the does installed they should have said so.
Either way, I hope you guys over come this ridiculous situation.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Sounds like a great reason to get half doors. If this was my state, I'd order them right now.

Sorry you folks have to deal with this idiocy.

All I do is slap a small side mirror on and leave the doors at home here in MI. Drove by several cops yesterday without even batting an eye.

Write your senator's and fight this.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
So is it a "fix it" ticket or a moving violation?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks like the fine state of Pennsylvania is doing it due diligence to keep you safe this summer,
I wonder if an OEM half door would be acceptable?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I can't think of any reason at all to live in PA. Do motorcycle riders up there have to wear helmets?

I see a market up there for a storage rack that fits in the back and securely holds your doors in the trunk. Half doors would be perfect.

I wonder if you had those pipe doors, if you wrapped them in canvas then they'd at least look like half doors.

I guess someone up there doesn't like Jeeps since they are the subject photos. Anyway, an occasional $25 fee to drive doorless? I can think of nasty women I've wasted a ton more $1 bills on.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
We drove up into PA a couple weekends ago. The weather was beautiful, and when we left down here in MD almost every Jeep we saw was running doorless. Then we got into PA, and suddenly almost every Jeep had doors on. I explained to the wife why that likely is, and pointed out that we were safe (MD plate). But I still feel bad for the guys with PA plates.
snip...

I'm not so sure we (I have MD tags too) are safe from a ticket. I don't know 100%, but I suspect if they want to they will stop you and write you a ticket.

·
Premium Member
16,895 Posts
Pa has its Head up its Ass. Kids for cash. The mayor of Scranton just plead guilty to corruption resigned from office. Auditor General just completed an audit Millions of dollars in gas taxes (highest in the Country) road taxes and tolls supposed to go to Road and Bridge REPAIR - Nope. Went to the State Police Pension because most retire with six digit income for life.

What else? Oh yeah - ONLY state in the country you get a ticket for driving a Jeep w/o Doors. ONLY in Pa.

Chicago and D.C. have nothing on Pa ......

·
Registered
837 Posts
Your vehicle being registered in different state isn't going to save you from being ticketed if you get stopped by the PoPo. You are required to know and obey the laws of whatever state you happen to be driving through. Claiming entitlement or ignorance of the law is not a defense. If it's illegal, it's illegal. Period.

·
Premium Member
16,895 Posts
It is going to depend on whether it is a Law or a DOT statute.

In Pa the "Doors" are required by PennDOT as an inspection requirement therefor the operation (on pavement) requires the doors be on.

Lets say you are from Ky or Ga and perhaps have no inspection requirements (I do not know if those states do or don't) and it's ok to drive around missing a bumper or you have gaping rust holes - In Pa that is a no-no BUT you won't get a ticket because the vehicle is registered in a state where it doesn't matter per it's DOT.

A Law is going to pertain to things like carrying a firearm etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,332 Posts
I'm not so sure we (I have MD tags too) are safe from a ticket. I don't know 100%, but I suspect if they want to they will stop you and write you a ticket.
Your vehicle being registered in different state isn't going to save you from being ticketed if you get stopped by the PoPo. You are required to know and obey the laws of whatever state you happen to be driving through. Claiming entitlement or ignorance of the law is not a defense. If it's illegal, it's illegal. Period.
My Jeep is not required to meet PA rules to be driven on PA streets. For example, to be tagged in MD you have to have an emissions inspection done on a regular basis. But someone from PA would not have to have the MD emissions inspection to operate their PA registered vehicle on MD roads. Your vehicle must meet the rules and regulations of the state it is registered in, and once registered it can be operated in that condition on roads in any state in the union. It is not the same as a behavioral regulation, like wearing seat belts. If your are driving in a different state you must follow the behavioral regulations of the state you are in. But your vehicle only needs to meet the equipment regulations of the state it is registered in.
For example, if the state you lived in did not require a third brake light but MD does, you could drive a vehicle without a third brake light on MD roads as long as it was tagged in your state and not MD.
It is not a matter of ignoring the law, it is a matter of knowing the law.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Here in Kentucky I don't even use side mirrors when I am doorless. Cops don't care 1 bit about doors, no doors, mirrors, no mirrors, the only person that does care is my wife, now I have her permission to buy a set.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
It is going to depend on whether it is a Law or a DOT statute.

In Pa the "Doors" are required by PennDOT as an inspection requirement therefor the operation (on pavement) requires the doors be on.

Lets say you are from Ky or Ga and perhaps have no inspection requirements (I do not know if those states do or don't) and it's ok to drive around missing a bumper or you have gaping rust holes - In Pa that is a no-no BUT you won't get a ticket because the vehicle is registered in a state where it doesn't matter per it's DOT.

A Law is going to pertain to things like carrying a firearm etc.
KY does NOT have state inspections and there are PLENTY of vehicles seen on the daily basis to prove that one :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 283 Posts