Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not had a final plan for this unlimited until recently when we decided that we were going to get a 2dr Rubicon with 37's, etc. in the spring next year... That means that this 4dr is going to stay as an overland/expedition rig.

It has 34's, but this "use" means that 35's will be the max. So I'm looking at 4.56 as that is a better gear than I had with the 32's and 3.73. I tow, but it often is highway speeds and we do run 80 at times, so I can't bring myself to consider the 4.88.

Now, it's LSD rear... I'm on the fence between locking the front or leaving it open. I've done plenty of trails where going in I was told I needed to be locked and had no trouble making it through. But if I'm in there, locking the front would be a viable option. With weight transfer, a locked front can really help pull you over or out of trouble.

Is it going to be worth the extra $1k? Convince me, one way or the other...

This is how she often rolls:

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
This is about the same decision we just went thru for the wife's new build. We decided an aftermarket 44 for the front would be the best approach. It scares me to lock the small R&P on the 30. If you consider the cost of gears, locker, gussets, sleeves (or truss), ball joints, etc on a 30 an aftermarket 44 at 4k isn't too far away
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5776eeb856d70ed4939dda90

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Do it once and then you have it in your pocket when you need it. I just locked my 2 door as a matter of fact I am picking it up tomorrow. I had 3.21 with LSD in the back and in certain places my Jeep struggled. A front locker is not always necessary but surely appreciated when needed. Once thing is for certain, if you dont do it the first time you are out after doing the upgrade you are going to need a front locker. 1K is nothing in a Jeep money. Lock it up.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
My favorite combination, selectable locker up front, LSD in the rear. It's an all season winner.
I agree, it's really not worth putting the money into the D30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,734 Posts
This is about the same decision we just went thru for the wife's new build. We decided an aftermarket 44 for the front would be the best approach. It scares me to lock the small R&P on the 30. If you consider the cost of gears, locker, gussets, sleeves (or truss), ball joints, etc on a 30 an aftermarket 44 at 4k isn't too far away

This is why I left my front open and did the Trutrac in the rear. Not that I have a lot of experience but when I was in Colorado (not on rocks) dirt trail I was mostly in 2wd and some 4wd due to rain and steeper inclines. It's didn't slip or miss a beat. For your Overland rig maybe leave it open and if you need it, you'll have the money saved for a Dana 44. I didn't want to invest in the 30 either, if I need the extra I planned to keep the money towards a new Dana 44

·
Premium Member
7,355 Posts
I agree that 4.56 is a good gear for you with an overland rig. I don't see you needing anything more.

I don't agree with the call to to move for an after market 44, you just don't need it for an overland rig. If you are at all worried and I doubt you are throw a Artec armor kit on the front and call it a day.

As far as a locker up front I think I would. You probably won't use it much in an overland rig but I can think of a few times I have needed a front locker on my rig when pulling a trailer. Mostly wet grass, sand and snow. I have been stuck in each of these conditions with a LSD rear and open front diff. Would a locked front end have helped? I really can't answer that except for the snow and it makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My favorite combination, selectable locker up front, LSD in the rear. It's an all season winner.
I agree, it's really not worth putting the money into the D30.
Yep, front locker and rear LSD is a great combo. Some people go the other way around, but with weight transfer, the locker is less effective in the rear. You usually have good rear traction. The front is where you lose traction most often and can use the locker.

I agree that 4.56 is a good gear for you with an overland rig. I don't see you needing anything more.

I don't agree with the call to to move for an after market 44, you just don't need it for an overland rig. If you are at all worried and I doubt you are throw a Artec armor kit on the front and call it a day.

As far as a locker up front I think I would. You probably won't use it much in an overland rig but I can think of a few times I have needed a front locker on my rig when pulling a trailer. Mostly wet grass, sand and snow. I have been stuck in each of these conditions with a LSD rear and open front diff. Would a locked front end have helped? I really can't answer that except for the snow and it makes a difference.
I think I'm locked in (pun intended) on the 4.56. And I'm leaning towards doing the locker, just because I'm in there. I'd like to have it just in case, but there is a possibility that I would never use it on this Jeep.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I went through all kinds of choices when I regeared. For the cost of a locker by itself, I got F&R TrueTracs. The stock LSD is a clutch system and over time (maybe lifetime) it would need servicing. TT are a gear system requiring only gear oil changes. The humvees and 1008/1009s I drove in the military had them. The trick to remember is that if a wheel is off the ground and slipping to apply a lil brake and it sets it right back up.

Here in WY, we get a fair amount of snow and before I would struggle through the drifts. Last winter after getting them installed, I plowed through a 14.7" snowfall storm. The people along the road liked it because I "plowed" the road for them to get to work haha.

·
Premium Member
7,355 Posts
The only reason I recommend a front lockers is an experience I had a few years back with my Dually. 4wd with a lsd in the rear and an open front running all season tires. Any trying to leave the camp ground all I did was spin. Put it in 4wd and still spun. It was level ground but it was wet grass. Dually's are very bad on wet grass but with lockers up front I might of got out of it myself.

·
Registered
702 Posts

For the price of those you'd think they would weld on the extra $5 of metal for the truss and gussets

·
Registered
90 Posts
For the price of those you'd think they would weld on the extra $5 of metal for the truss and gussets
I dont see any reason for a truss and gusset on one of these with a 37 or smaller. The C's are so much beefier than a stock JK 44 and the tube diameter is larger. In fact the whole axle is big and mean. I have one and run 37's on it, last thing I worry about is bending it.

·
Super Moderator
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went through all kinds of choices when I regeared. For the cost of a locker by itself, I got F&R TrueTracs. The stock LSD is a clutch system and over time (maybe lifetime) it would need servicing. TT are a gear system requiring only gear oil changes. The humvees and 1008/1009s I drove in the military had them. The trick to remember is that if a wheel is off the ground and slipping to apply a lil brake and it sets it right back up.

Here in WY, we get a fair amount of snow and before I would struggle through the drifts. Last winter after getting them installed, I plowed through a 14.7" snowfall storm. The people along the road liked it because I "plowed" the road for them to get to work haha.
I actually went in with 4-5 options to discuss... True-tracs front only and both were one of those options. The diff guy's opinion was that it would be a beast on the road but felt that they would not be as effective as a single locker in low traction, loose dirt or tire in the air situations.

·
Registered
787 Posts
TrueTrac works great in everything EXCEPT tire in the air.

Mud, dirt, snow, general trail riding they are terrific.

But if you lift a tire often, a true locker would probably do you better.

Just be aware of difficult steering when the front is locked.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
@[MENTION];[/MENTION]
I actually went in with 4-5 options to discuss... True-tracs front only and both were one of those options. The diff guy's opinion was that it would be a beast on the road but felt that they would not be as effective as a single locker in low traction, loose dirt or tire in the air situations.
TrueTrac works great in everything EXCEPT tire in the air.

Mud, dirt, snow, general trail riding they are terrific.

But if you lift a tire often, a true locker would probably do you better.

Just be aware of difficult steering when the front is locked.
They work great in loose dirt. Our house is out in the "country" and travel a dirt road every day. Prior to them, I would be able to drift around the corners when playing Dukes of Hazzard. After getting them in, I almost put myself in a ditch because the Jeep went where I pointed it. Same thing would happen during the snow that we would get. After the lockers and in a big storm, I plowed through 3/4ft drifts with no problems. I prefer the no wire/airline simplicity of the gears for my needs. And towing the popup through the rutted logging roads is a dream now. Not to mention the sh!tty roads and patties I drove through in Korea and Germany with the military trucks.

When talking to the "XXX guy" I always take it with a grain of salt. What's their experience with what I ask about, are the situations the same, are they trying to just go for the almighty $$$ etc etc.

If you were talking about krawling I would go locker all the way, but i have yet to have any situation for my uses (everything but rocks) that I regret my decision. And even if I did have some crawling, a simple light press of the brake will transfer the traction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMy7az5rPWs

·
Super Moderator
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@WillyD

I do normally just take comments as a data point... It just so happens that this axle shop is a big group of Jeepers too. And with the number of units they do, I was more interested in their opinion than I might otherwise be.

Just doing the TrueTrac front was my first choice... Although doing both was/is an option. This Jeep isn't a "climber" as per se, but I do hit trails where certain climbs exist. And I've done them open/trac-lok... So I know going up to dual TrueTrac would be a nice step up.

·
Super Moderator
2,734 Posts
I think either dual Trutrac or front locker and rear Trutrac, you can't lose.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Over the years and a number of different vehicles I've run every combination available including LSDs that were modified to near spool efficiency. I will never again run anything but either air or electric lockers both front and rear. With todays traction control when unlocked and the choice of locking front, rear or both you have the best of all worlds. That being said, locking anything less than a 44 or bigger just isn't prudent for me.

Also keep in mind, running open, open makes you a better driver out of necessity. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Keep in mind the truetrac only really "works" when going forward. So 2 in a vehicle that gets "stuck" going in to something, might really be stuck, trying to get out also.

I would look in to a Zip air locker as the quality, cost and Warranty is far better than any other locker out there. And do an air up compressor, so you have air that you should (if not already) have for any actual inflation needs.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I put 4.56's and elockers in mine. I wanted true selectibility in mine. Im only running 33"s on mine, so that's plenty. I have no problem locking my D30 for it's intended purpose and usage.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts