Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a small lock box for my 2011 2 door JK. I have seen a couple on quadratec that are what I need:

Bestop 42640-01 - Bestop® Locking Under Seat Storage Box in Textured Black for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK Driver Side - Quadratec

and

Tuffy 293-01 - Tuffy Security Products Passenger Side Conceal Carry Underseat Security Drawer for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

but I know for sure that I have the easy access seat on the passenger side and think that I do on the drive side. I have taken a picture under the driver seat and I think that the bar that you see will prohibit the above from working. I really just need something to lock my wallet and work badge in.

Thanks for the help.

Justin

Attachments

·
Registered
3,430 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. That one looks like it isn't specific to the Jeep but would be an option. I take the back seat out a lot and I am afraid that this would then end up in the way of other stuff that I put in there.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I have their half center console in my Jeep. I use it for my lock box. It has plenty of space for everything I want to leave in the Jeep but don't want stolen. I keep my programmer, the lug nut adapter, a GPS, some MP3 disks, my insurance card, and a few other things in there on a regular basis. I still have plenty of room to secure a firearm, up to and including a 4" Smith & Wesson .357, for when I go somewhere and I can't take it inside with me.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-300-jk-2011-security-rear-half-console.aspx

If you don't want the whole console you could look into their insert that goes in the factory center console.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-299-jk-2011-security-console-insert.aspx

I almost wish I would have gone this route because it lets you keep the dual lid center console which is a perfect place to leave sunglasses.

You could also look into their security glove box. It would keep a few things safe.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-195-jk-security-glove-box.aspx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information. I am wondering about the 3rd one, the security console insert. If anyone has this, I am wondering if it works with the tray that the glasses are stored in? The console seems to go up flush to the top of the opening. I also have the perimeter sensor for my alarm mounted on the under side of that tray, but that could be moved. hmmmm

I have their half center console in my Jeep. I use it for my lock box. It has plenty of space for everything I want to leave in the Jeep but don't want stolen. I keep my programmer, the lug nut adapter, a GPS, some MP3 disks, my insurance card, and a few other things in there on a regular basis. I still have plenty of room to secure a firearm, up to and including a 4" Smith & Wesson .357, for when I go somewhere and I can't take it inside with me.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-300-jk-2011-security-rear-half-console.aspx

If you don't want the whole console you could look into their insert that goes in the factory center console.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-299-jk-2011-security-console-insert.aspx

I almost wish I would have gone this route because it lets you keep the dual lid center console which is a perfect place to leave sunglasses.

You could also look into their security glove box. It would keep a few things safe.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-195-jk-security-glove-box.aspx

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, here is the million dollar question. I had power lock actuators added to my doors and tailgate. I would LOVE to add one to whatever lockbox I get. IF anyone has any suggestions on that too, let me know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a dumb question. Why are these options so much more safe than the locks already in the jeep? The glove box and center console have a lock. Why are the metal ones more safe? Will a thief cut through the plastic or something?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have a dumb question. Why are these options so much more safe than the locks already in the jeep? The glove box and center console have a lock. Why are the metal ones more safe? Will a thief cut through the plastic or something?
That is exactly what happened to my 2nd Jeep. They ripped the top off my center counsel and the glove box open. Now I just leave everything unlocked so they can just take it instead of f'ing everything up.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Those can be popped open with a screwdriver or so swift kick. The Tuffy underseat box won't be opened with a screwdriver...not while installed.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
Those can be popped open with a screwdriver or so swift kick. The Tuffy underseat box won't be opened with a screwdriver...not while installed.
Screwdriver? You can just pull them open. They are made of PLASTIC.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Screwdriver? You can just pull them open. They are made of PLASTIC.
And that is why I don't keep much in them.

Between the two of them, there are 1 or 2 CD's, a DVD, a pen, a pad of paper, a cheap tire pressure gauge (which really isn't needed when you think about it), a USB cord, a cheap set of ear buds, some napkins, some fuses, and the user manual which takes up the entire glove box anyway.

My Swiss Army Knife, LED flashlight, etc stay locked up on the either the Tuffy underseat lockbox or Tuffy trunk enclosure.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
The plastic construction of the factory center console and glove box leave something to be desired when it comes to security.

The old saying "Locks only keep the honest people out" is true in my opinion. If someone can just open your locked glove box with a swift yank and have a look around they will. If someone has to spend time and energy to break open a steel Tuffy Product, they are going to think twice.

-Ryan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts