Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a Lock Right locker tonight in my front Dana 30 diffy. All went well except that the locker won't turn within the carrier.

The piece called the "driver" has flat sides (on top and on bottom in the picture below), and hits the carrier as the flat section becomes round and too large to rotate within the carrier.

Pic and video below.

Notes:
* 99 TJ Sport, 4.0L
* My thrust washers are installed, the same ones that were originally in there.
* Dana 30 front axle
* Lock Right locker model # 2210

So, possible solutions are...?
Option 1. Cut the locker down -- doesn't seem like this should happen as I'm compromising a critical part. Don't want to do this.
Option 2. Remove everything and cut the carrier at the points where it rubs -- how would one do that? I'm assuming the carrier is hardened steel.
Option 3. Thicker thrust washer -- don't know if this is wise as I'm supposed to keep the same thickness as original.
Option 4. ????!?!?!?!?!

Here's a picture of where the locker (the driver piece) is hitting the carrier.

Here's a video of me turning the locker. The pinion isn't installed yet, as I'm using it to turn the locker. It stops in both directions because the locker (driver) is hitting the carrier. This shows it hitting at the top of the carrier, but the same is happening on the other side too.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
That locker only fits into open carriers, could your rear axle have Tracloc LSD carrier installed into io?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have a Dana 35 in the rear, but assuming I don't have any LSD. I think I can check by raising the rear tires and see if they spin the same direction, right? Otherwise i guess I could take off the diff cover and see what's in there.

Curious -- what is significant about the front if I have a TracLoc LSD in the rear? Would I still need to get a new carrier in the front?

If I get a new carrier, looks like I'm going to have to get backlash checked, etc -- would be a good time to go ahead and upgrade my 3.55s to 4.56s too. Was going to take this in stages for the near future.

·
Registered
458 Posts
does it still rub once the center pin is fully installed? I suppose that if it did, it would be the side gear doing the rubbing as the center section will cease to have any rotational movement with the pin installed.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does it still rub once the center pin is fully installed? I suppose that if it did, it would be the side gear doing the rubbing as the center section will cease to have any rotational movement with the pin installed.
Yep, still rubs. I slid the center pin in fully first just for grins, and that's when I noticed the blockage.
For it to work as-is, the drivers/gears would need to move closer together to gain clearance, not get pressed apart further.

Doing some research on what kind of carrier I have, upgrading to open and regearing, etc. Was gonna get a soft top this spring, looks like that money is going towards something else now!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yep, still rubs. I slid the center pin in fully first just for grins, and that's when I noticed the blockage.
For it to work as-is, the drivers/gears would need to move closer together to gain clearance, not get pressed apart further.

Doing some research on what kind of carrier I have, upgrading to open and regearing, etc. Was gonna get a soft top this spring, looks like that money is going towards something else now!
Guess I was looking at it wrong. Sorry

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That locker only fits into open carriers, could your rear axle have Tracloc LSD carrier installed into io?
My build sheet says "Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System", but nothing specific to differentials, so assume from the factory that it's open. The previous owner did upgrade from 3.07 gears to 3.55, so it's possible he put something else in the rear diff.

Once I get the front axle off of jacks and wheels back on, I can do the rear axle spin test.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Called PowerTrax tech support.

The guy I spoke with was unfamiliar with this kind of issue, but he did say it was likely due to a casting variation of the inside of the carrier. I would tend to agree since the Lock Right locker seems like a more finely precisioned piece of equipment with less variation, but who knows for sure.

He recommended doing various things to determine where it was hitting (axle gear paint kind of approach), and then going at the carrier with a dremel. Since the carrier is just barely hitting, I think there's enough metal in the carrier to afford some being ground off.

Will report in one last time on final findings after I investigate and try this, hopefully tonight.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like I get to close out this thread with a final report.

I ended up taking a dremel sanding stone to the inside of the carrier and grinding off less than 1mm of metal where the Lock Right was hitting. Test fit the locker and it fit and turned all the way around without hitting, so I put it all back together and test drove the Jeep tonight.

2WD straight and in turns, 4hi straight, 4lo straight, 4hi in gravel turns --- it all works. Will hit the trails sometime later this month to give it a real test.

Clicking is at a minimum, barely hear it, but I did use the thicker gear oil in the hopes of reducing the noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am up against the exact same issue, Powertrax lock right going in a Dana 30 on a 97 TJ. The piece called the "driver" is hitting the inside of the carrier on the ring side, (passenger side of the jeep).
At the very end of the installation manual, there is page marked "important". It has you install both couplers, with the old thrust washers, as well as the spacers and pinion shaft, (everything except the drivers). Then it says to measure the gap between the spacer and pinion shaft, should be between .005 and .020 inch, with no more than .008 difference between the two. Mine has a gap of .022 on the ring side, and .018 on the other side. I figured that my thrust washers were worn, so i got 2 on order today.
After reading your thread, i guess i will break out the dremel tool and do some grinding on the inside of that carrier, just in case the new thrust washers make no difference.
Fine differentials hand crafted by skilled artisans.:)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After reading your thread, i guess i will break out the dremel tool and do some grinding on the inside of that carrier, just in case the new thrust washers make no difference. Fine differentials hand crafted by skilled artisans.:)
It took very little work with the dremel to make clearance, but did a little extra just in case motion during use could cause more rubbing. Plenty of metal left on the carrier, so not worried about weakness. So far, locker continues to work as expected. Hope your experience is the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts