Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With stories of people around here in NY, post Hurricane Sandy, experiencing their Wranglers getting siphoned, I was curious if anyone has any recommendation on a lockable gas cap? I know it is just a deterrent and it keeps honest please honest. My main issue is that I don't know if a gas cap is better than a lockable fuel door. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
531 Posts
To be honest, if someone wants the gas in your car they'll just drill a hole in your tank. You can find lockable gas caps on Amazon for a good price.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I bought the Mopar locking gas cap which is keyed to the Jeep key. Just to stop anyone from pouring something or anything into the gas tank. Better safe than sorry. Also the Mopar gas cap cover.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I will look into all options. I did hear there is a anti-siphoning system, just rather be safe than sorry. Now I'm hearing things about people putting sugar in the gas tank. Why can't people just stay away from messing with Wranglers!

·
Registered
41 Posts
JanSport12 said:
Thanks for all the replies, I will look into all options. I did hear there is a anti-siphoning system, just rather be safe than sorry. Now I'm hearing things about people putting sugar in the gas tank. Why can't people just stay away from messing with Wranglers!
Sugar doesn't mess up a gas system. Just sayin

·
Registered
390 Posts
I bought the Mopar locking gas cap which is keyed to the Jeep key. Just to stop anyone from pouring something or anything into the gas tank. Better safe than sorry. Also the Mopar gas cap cover.
Keyed to the jeep key? I want to get it too ..
I believe this should be the part
Locking Gas Cap - 68030940AA | Mopar
Unfortunately it says both "keyed to ignition" and "two keys"..

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Keyed to the jeep key? I want to get it too ..
I believe this should be the part
Locking Gas Cap - 68030940AA | Mopar
Unfortunately it says both "keyed to ignition" and "two keys"..
No it is a keyed to ignition key only. I think it is Jeep Wrangler Locking Gas Cap. I think Mopar site messed up they are showing 2 the same with the 2 keys. I know I bought mine from the dealer and they keyed it to the ignition while I waited. No charge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone ever seen one with a powered lock actuator? I would love to get it in line with a viper car alarm...

Edit, I meant the outside door and not just the cover.

·
Registered
390 Posts
No it is a keyed to ignition key only. I think it is Jeep Wrangler Locking Gas Cap. I think Mopar site messed up they are showing 2 the same with the 2 keys. I know I bought mine from the dealer and they keyed it to the ignition while I waited. No charge.
Could you post the part number?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Anyone ever seen one with a powered lock actuator? I would love to get it in line with a viper car alarm...

Edit, I meant the outside door and not just the cover.
If there's a locking fuel fill door instead of a locking gas cap, that would be awesome. I didn't come across one that looked good while I was searching.. but I'm sure someone must have made one..

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have the bag that the gas cap came in still. I put the original cap in to save. Part # 1-68030940AA.

It came with the cap a tumbler and the retainer ring.
Awesome.. Thanks for confirming the part number.
I'll get this.. Till now I was a little sad I'll have to carry an extra key, but this solves the problem :)

·
The Bad Guy
23,247 Posts
You cannot siphon gas from a Wrangler. Your "stories" are false.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts