Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my 2013 JK. One of the first things I did was remove the floor bracket protector, more commonly known as the rear seat. A lot of the lockable storage solutions for the 2 door JK's seem to involve that small area right above the jack storage. I didn't want something in the "trunk" area that I would have to reach over to get to the open storage. So I measured the area of the back between the jack storage flap hinge and the drop off area behind the seats. It's about 38" wide and about 20" deep.

So I found an aluminum ATV storage box with a footprint of 36" x 19.5". I wanted to use the brackets for the rear seat. The two rearmost brackets are recessed but the front four sit above the floorboard. I figured it would be better to raise the entire box than have it sit at an angle. My first thought was to build something akin to the rails on the bottom of a JOBOX. I decided against in because the ATV box is aluminum and I figured the entire bottom needed support. So I went to Academy Sports and picked up a pack of foam workout puzzle mats.

My first thought was to drill some holes and use a "J" bolt to attach the box to the brackets. Because the 4 front brackets stick up, the threads of the "J" bolt did not go down far enough. So I went to Home Depot and walked around until a solution presented itself. There I found a metal rod and some eye bolts. I ended up cutting the rod into 10" lengths and cutting a notch for where the rod met the bracket. And it's a good thing I did. With the eye bolts "under" the rod, I couldn't push the rod in by hand. But a light tap with a hammer got the rod moving. And they stayed in place when the notch on the top of the rod got under the bracket.

I cut two of the 24" x 24" mats down to 24" x 20". On the edges, I cut the mats and made 3 layers of mats where I thought the box needed some more support. I figured the bolts would compress the foam at the edge to the point where they were even with the 2 layers in the middle.

And with using the foam instead of something rigid, I was able to push down on the box and screw in one of the nuts by hand. I added a second nut to try to lock them. But I didn't need a wrench. The mat acts like a dampener and the box barely makes any noise. The majority of the noise came from the handles of the box hitting the side of the box but that was taken care of with an angle grinder. No handles no noise.

And the box opens up fine. When it's open, the lid just barely touches the back of the seats. And I can lean into the back of the Jeep to get to the stuff in the box. So now I have a lockable box without any modifications to the Jeep itself. I think I like it. I know I won't be able to attach many MOLLE bags to the back of the seats when I finally get my Trek Armor seat covers. And I may add another lock to the box so it's more secure. The box came with a lock but I don't know how secure it really is. So on to the pictures.

The "J" bolts on the mats:

The bottom of an aluminum box after a hole was drilled into it:

The handles don't seem to be making much noise now:

The eye bolts and the rod under the bracket:

Space behind the driver's seat:

The top just touches the seat when the box is open:

If I decide to keep the box installed, I'll take an angle grinder and cut those down a bit:

All packed:

And there's still room for groceries:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Great solution! That is an awesome way to secure something to the factory seat brackets.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great solution! That is an awesome way to secure something to the factory seat brackets.
My original thought was to have a place to lock stuff up when I take the hard top off. I think a steel box instead of an aluminum one might have been a more secure choice.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Unless you are putting a safe back there no matter what you use someone could break in in if they really wanted it. I think your box will suit your needs fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts