Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about installing lockers on my front diff in my 02 wrangler with a Dana 30. What type of locker should I get (I am on s high school budget) and any recommended brands?

·
Registered
442 Posts
on a budget an aussie would be a good choice. Around 250-270ish online. Its an auto locker meaning anytime the jeep is in 4wd its locked. In 2wd it will ratchet and act like an open diff.

Mine is wating to go in, but a few people i wheel with have them and they perform flawlessly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think I paid 280 for my lock right locker. Hear it click a bit but can't feel it in 2wd. It's a great mod worth every penny.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Don't forget it will be difficult (not just tricky, nearly impossible sometimes) to steer in the snow with a locked front end.

An auto locker might not be the best choice if your in the snow in 4 wheel drive a lot.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
All front axles as shipped by Jeep are open. A lunchbox locker like a Lockrite, Aussie, or No-Slip will be fine on snow-covered roads so long as you stay in 2wd. In 4x4, any front-mounted automatic locker will cause understeer so you have to be careful after shifting into 4Hi or 4Lo.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Took me 3 or 4 hours by myself. You have to pull the carrier out then take the ring gear off and then you can get the pin out and then all the spider gears. Make sure you keep track of where everything was. It has to go back exactly how it was.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I used a spartan in mine. Most of the lunchbox lockers are basically the same. Mine was about a 2 1/2 hour install in my driveway. Excellent step by step on YouTube and some forums. If you can do a brake job then the locker will be easy. No real issues with mine and I can't tell its there until I lift the fun stick off road.

Sometimes I have to back up to get it to unlock after I disengage, no biggie just be aware.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts