Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2000 Jeep TJ 5 speed, with the 35 in the rear, with what I believe is a Detroit locker in the rear. There is quite a bit of play in it, and the driveability isn't great. If I let off the gas too quickly the whole Jeep leans forward and if I get back on the gas there's a big clunk and the Jeep lurches forward. It's not a smooth transition on/off throttle. It corners ok, but will act funny if I give it any had throughout the corners. Is this to be expected with this style of locker? Any info is appreciate

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
It should be pretty much undetectable driving straight and annoying in the corners.... If you don't need a locker you can replace it with an open carrier for pretty cheap but your straight line issues may indicate other problems besides your locker.....
Rear tires different sizes could cause weird straight line behavior...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I'm considering going open especially with winter coming up, I feel like that rear locker will be interesting in the snow. If I'm going to an open carrier do I just need the spider gears and carrier for a 35? Then I can reinstall the 4.56 r&p with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right on, open diff it is! I'll rebuild the Detroit and save it for the trails next year. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P.s. can anyone identify that locker style by the picture? I know it's not the greatest but there's no markings or name on it..

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Looks like a detroit but can't be sure from the pic...

The diff isn't really something you want to be changing back and forth... you have to reshim it to set backlash and I don't think you're supposed to keep reusing the ring gear bolts...

If you want the best of both worlds and make ur d35 last longer too, sell the detroit, install a tru trac, and be done w it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
Detroit Lockers, if that's what you have, are very well behaved once you figure out how they like to be driven and you adapt to it. I ran one for years and loved it, its advantages outweigh its quirks which are mostly eliminated by a simple change to how you drive it. Smooth throttle application and neutral throttle through turns turn it into the best behaved automatic locker. I miss the hell out of mine my previous stolen TJ had.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
The best behaved auto locker is like the tallest midget....

I don't miss my street driven detroit in the slightest...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
The best behaved auto locker is like the tallest midget....

I don't miss my street driven detroit in the slightest...
It took me just a day or two to learn how to make my Detroit Locker very well behaved on the street. By most, it's known as the best behaved automatic locker available so long as you are willing to learn how it likes to be driven. I seldom noticed its presence even though my TJ at the time was my daily driver with probably no less than 100 miles per day driven. Some are unwilling to learn or change their driving style, it was no big deal to me.

There ARE poorly behaved automatic lockers out there but after years of ownership in a daily driver I don't consider the Detroit Locker to be one of them. Did they used to be poorly behaved and did they earn a reputation for that which some refuse to believe is no longer valid? Yes, like 30 years ago. Still? Nope.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Don't get me wrong I could make it behave too but every so often it would bug me and people who weren't used to it couldn't seem to drive it....

OP without driving your rig it's hard for us to know for sure what's going on w your jeep but I'd be surprised if there was anything needing rebuild in your detroit causing the behavior you're experiencing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info. It's only been on the road a week and it seems to be behaving a bit better now that I'm getting used to it. I'm looking forward to the offroad advantages it's going to offer, just have to master the street side of it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
Thanks for the info. It's only been on the road a week and it seems to be behaving a bit better now that I'm getting used to it. I'm looking forward to the offroad advantages it's going to offer, just have to master the street side of it.
Stay off hammering the gas and don't do hard decelerations using engine braking around turns/corners/curves as those will lock the locker hard enough that it won't be able to unlock the outside tire during a turn. That's what causes tire chirps, lurches, bangs, etc.

Neutral throttle all the way through a turn is the key to a smooth chirpless turn when you have an automatic locker like a Detroit Locker. :)

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Keep in mind certain un named people here swapped out their 5 speed for an auto ^^^ lol

You'll have to work a little harder to keep ur locker from misbehaving than he did lol...

It won't take you long to get to where you only notice it once every week or so...

Keep in mind that if you get aggressive off road you have a pretty fair chance of snapping a stock 35 shaft especially if you have bigger than 31's....
If you decide to keep it I would STRONGLY suggest some 1541h shafts before you break...

·
Registered
2002 TJ. 4.0 ltr. 5.5 RE long arm lift, 35" tires, 4.56 gears, Teraflex S/T disconnect,
514 Posts
Detroit Lockers, if that's what you have, are very well behaved once you figure out how they like to be driven and you adapt to it. I ran one for years and loved it, its advantages outweigh its quirks which are mostly eliminated by a simple change to how you drive it. Smooth throttle application and neutral throttle through turns turn it into the best behaved automatic locker. I miss the hell out of mine my previous stolen TJ had.
Completely agree with this...when I first got my tj, I couldn't stand the Detroit locker. Wanted to get rid of it. But now I've gotten used to it and learned its quirks, it's fine.
Make sure your tire pressure is the same. Check control arm bushings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
To the OP, Detroits have quirks, but one of the biggest issues is the tire loaded radius. Both sides must be equal! Usually adjusting tire psi within .5 psi will do the trick, but if one tire is worn more than the other, air pressure might have to be adjusted to make the loaded radius equal. Next check all of your rear suspension links to make sure there is no play in them and make sure your axles are parallel front to back. Detroits have a lot of backlash in them, that is normal. Try to avoid going from coast to acceleration quickly because the backlash isn't taken up evenly at times and can result in pulling to one side or the other.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys just wanted to update on that driveability issue i was having. After doing an overhaul on the suspension I found i had a combination of bad bushings and loose bolts on the lower control arms in the rear which was making the axle so unstable. So with the combination of that and the locker habits it was driving terribly. Tightened everything up and a new set of bushings and I can't believe the difference. Entirely different vehicle!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts