Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I have a 03 Rubicon with 79,000 miles that I bought a couple months ago and Im having some issues with the lockers. When I activate the switch both front and rear lights flash come on together( isnt it once for the rear and one more for the front? then lights go steady on?) I can hear the pumps come on then go silent a few seconds later they will make a split second hum then go off then repeat. I have pulled hoses at the diffs and at pumps and there is air coming out. Lights always blink never go steady. The guy I bought it from showed me how it all works and it was one push rear comes on then steady light then push again front comes on steady light. Its not doing that anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
100,572 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
A compressor repeatedly turning on/off/on/off etc. indicates an air leak. Work your way back from where the air line connects to the axle housing to find the leak by pinching the hose off at various locations. If the compressor stays off after pressurizing the line and you pinch the hose where it connects to the diff housing the leak is inside the locker or the internal hose has come loose.

Also keep in mind that the lockers will not lock while you're sitting still, it takes an S-turn or two to get them to lock. Like a screwdriver blade in a screw slot, they won't lock together unless one side is rotated at a different speed so the two sides line up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good morning Jerry , Thanks for the response. I have turned
on the lockers and drove it for a bit even going over minor obstacles like Toyota FJ and such but the lights never stopped flashing. I will get back under there and try it. Now as far as the sequence goes is it 2 separate pushes of the button to engage front and rear? Or 1 push for both? Because I remember it as 2. Thanks again, Mike

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
If your compressors keep turning on & off you have a leak and the locker(s) won't lock. I'd cure the leak before looking deeper at why the light (s) are flashing. Do some troubleshooting to find the air leak, there's just a hose between the locker and compressor. Is the leak in the hose before the locker or is it leaking inside the differential housing? If you pinch off the hose after disconnecting it from the axle housing and the compressor shuts off and stays off, the leak is inside the axle housing... either the short hose inside came off (which happens) which is an easy fix, or the bladder inside the locker is leaking which is not such an easy fix.

Or if the compressor(s) keep coming on with you pinching the hose off, the leak is either in the hose between the compressor and axle housing or the compressor itself has a leak in its diaphragm.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
My dash lights are not reliable indicators of whether or not the lockers are locked. Fix the leaks and then decide how much you care about the lights.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
On your question on operation of the lockers and how they are supposed to behave...
This is from the 2005 owners manual. Your switch may be in a different location, but would work the same.

AXLE LOCK (TRU–LOK™) — IF EQUIPPED
The Axle Lock switch is located on the lower center of the
instrument panel.
This feature will only activate when the following conditions are met:
• Key in ignition, vehicle in 4L (Low) range.
• The vehicle must be traveling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or
less.
To activate the system, press the switch once to lock the
rear axle only (the REAR LOCK indicator light will
illuminate), press the switch again to lock the front axle
(the FRONT LOCK indicator light will illuminate). Once
the rear axle is locked, pressing the switch again will lock
or unlock the front axle.
NOTE: The indicator lights will flash until the axles are
fully locked or unlocked. A chime will sound three times
and the indicator lights will continue to flash at a
different rate if the key is removed while the axles are still