Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
vehicle information: 2014 JKU freedom edition with 2.5" lift and 35's.

I'm about to re-gear my ride with 4.56 gears. I've got a friend that just pulled his lockers out of his jeep that I can get a GREAT deal on.

The rear locker is an Eaton E-locker and the front is an Aussie Locker. Would this be a good setup??

My original plan was leaving the rear open and putting an e-locker up front. But I can get both lockers from him for $500 and they've got about 6k miles ran on them.....What do you guys suggest?

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
IMO the front benefits from either a selectable locker or LSD. I wouldn't want to wheel with a F/T locker and be unable to navigate switchbacks without executing 5 point turns.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Agree with Wred. An Aussie up front will need to disengage when the wheels turn. it uses toothed plates and spring loaded pins to keep the locker engaged. Whell speed offset is what binds the plates and causes the inner plate to skip over the cross shaft (clicking noise), until the front wheels speed match and then the spring/pins push the plate back against the cross shaft and you are locked again.

THe problem off road is turns happen at a very slow rate, so the wheel spin is not there to force the plates apart. Then you are being pushed through the turn because the locker keeps the axle shafts locked together.

The Aussie will click away in town. And then show it's bite when off road.

Bob K.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the aussie up front is not a great idea?

This is my daily driver and i don't do much off roading. But i wanted lockers in case i need them

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
So the aussie up front is not a great idea?

This is my daily driver and i don't do much off roading. But i wanted lockers in case i need them
Not in my opinion. If in 4wd in snow you'd struggle around turns.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
If you only want the lockers when you need them, get selectables. The lockers you have posted about are automatic and will remind you every day that they are there.

Bob K.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
get the eaton especially if it is a good deal. skip the aussie. they are super cheap anyways.

look around for a good deal on a front eaton or ARB. I paid $450 each for my rd114 and rd36

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
get the eaton especially if it is a good deal. skip the aussie. they are super cheap anyways.

look around for a good deal on a front eaton or ARB. I paid $450 each for my rd114 and rd36

Other than a selectable what would be another viable option for the front?

Keep in mind i don't drive in the snow down here in Texas and very little mud. Mostly rocks is what I do

·
Premium Member
886 Posts

Keep in mind i don't drive in the snow down here in Texas and very little mud. Mostly rocks is what I do
Like I said above, LSD.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts

honestly I wouldnt put anything but a selectable in a front dana 30. 30's break enough without a locker of any sort, a selectable will give you some control over that

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
honestly I wouldnt put anything but a selectable in a front dana 30. 30's break enough without a locker of any sort, a selectable will give you some control over that
While that may be true for some folks it's usually all in the driver. All the Jeeps I've owned I've never broke an axle. I pamper that throttle because i know the limitations. I know the D30 is a weak link even with no locker and the 35s. So i adjust my driving habits to accommodate that. Once i get this thing paid for I'll throw a Prorock 44 under the front and 37s. I need something to get me by until then

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well after running my setup for a couple weeks now I'm happy with it.

I went with the Aussie in the front and the E locker in the rear. It functions well. Couldn't be happier

1 - 12 of 12 Posts