Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know if an 05 sport with the heavy duty Dana 44 would have the harness for the locker switch behind the rocker panel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I believe only rubis have it stock.
Yep, you wouldn't have the harness. Sport with a 44 wouldn't have a locker either unless it was aftermarket like an ARB or somebody swapped in a rubi44

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
The Rubi even has a different PCM as it has to send a PCI signal for locker lights in cluster and it has to receive the variable resistance from the sensor in the transfer case to know 4low vs 4hi bs 2 vs neutral

Non Rubi just have a switch to light the cluster light when in 4hi or 4lo

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The Rubi even has a different PCM as it has to send a PCI signal for locker lights in cluster and it has to receive the variable resistance from the sensor in the transfer case to know 4low vs 4hi bs 2 vs neutral

Non Rubi just have a switch to light the cluster light when in 4hi or 4lo

I just swapped my old Rubi axles and np241 transfer case. I tried just splicing the 241 t-case sensor wire in, but the 4wd light stays on regardless of what position the lever is in (2hi, 4hi, 4lo). It does seem to get a bit brighter when I shift through them, so your variable resistance comment is exactly what I was thinking.

Any ideas what I need to do to get my current Jeep 4wd light functional after swapping in a Rubicon transfer case? I can live with the light staying on if I need to, but if it's an easy fix I'll do it.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
You would need to remove that big (larger than 1inch) linear potentiometer and replace it with a plunger switch

Of course would need to fit threads or adapter and need plunger of similar length

Then light should either work or work backwards/read opposite if it read opposite adding a normally closed relay inline would solve that

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Works fine on my handheld

Just google this phrase if your system fails you
NV241 Rock Trac Transfer Case Swap

I find most things work better in Tapatalk app rather the the forum app

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Here is the post from Blaine

mrblaine
TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Rook, a few things for you. First is your trans mount. You will ruin your transmission if you don't get the bolts tightened up against it. Get a bolt long enough that you can see the threads on top. Put two nuts on where you have one. Thread one nut up against the bottom of the trans and tighten it down so the soft cast aluminum isn't getting the threads hammered by the bolts. Thread the other one down against your plate like you have it now and tighten it. That will stop any damage that is going to happen.

Standard makes a switch that screws in there where the big one is now. It works opposite of the one in the 231 that closes a circuit to turn on the 4wd light so you dash light will work.

The 241 does shift backwards which is why the lever points up instead of down like the 231.

The shift linkage is very different and if you need some 241 specific, I probably have several. I would convert to a cable shifter if it was mine.

I would have also kept the balancer on the back of the case. I've had several conversations with Tom Wood about that and he strongly recommends it due to some funky harmonics the 241 develops with the right gearing combos.

Not sure why you couldn't find any write-ups on the swap, I've seen several over the years.

The connector for the t-case switch from Standard has a keyed slot that you will need to cut into your harness side connector.
Dec 21, 2016
Chris likes this.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Here is the post from Blaine

mrblaine
TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Rook, a few things for you. First is your trans mount. You will ruin your transmission if you don't get the bolts tightened up against it. Get a bolt long enough that you can see the threads on top. Put two nuts on where you have one. Thread one nut up against the bottom of the trans and tighten it down so the soft cast aluminum isn't getting the threads hammered by the bolts. Thread the other one down against your plate like you have it now and tighten it. That will stop any damage that is going to happen.

Standard makes a switch that screws in there where the big one is now. It works opposite of the one in the 231 that closes a circuit to turn on the 4wd light so you dash light will work.

The 241 does shift backwards which is why the lever points up instead of down like the 231.

The shift linkage is very different and if you need some 241 specific, I probably have several. I would convert to a cable shifter if it was mine.

I would have also kept the balancer on the back of the case. I've had several conversations with Tom Wood about that and he strongly recommends it due to some funky harmonics the 241 develops with the right gearing combos.

Not sure why you couldn't find any write-ups on the swap, I've seen several over the years.

The connector for the t-case switch from Standard has a keyed slot that you will need to cut into your harness side connector.
Dec 21, 2016
Chris likes this.

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure I read this post months ago, but at the time I hadn't thought/cared about the 4WD light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts