Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1999 TJ 4.0 automatic. I went to my 4WheelDrive shop in town to have a locker installed in the rear. They said they could not do it because I have a 3.09 gear ratio in the rear. They said it would require rebuilding both front and rear gear boxes to 4.10, and then they could install a locker...$2600.00 later. Does this make sense to anyone? I have only been a Jeep owner for about a year now, so there is still a world to learn, but I am confused, is there no locker upgrade for the 3.09 gearbox. I kind of like having a highway capable jeep, so it would be great to just find a locker for that gearbox. Or is that just wrongful thinking...? Any help here would be great.
Thanks, Michael

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
What rear axle do you have... D35 or D44?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Do not run a locker on stock D35 axles. Plus you are running 3.07 gears which will mean heavy on the gas while wheeling, especially with larger tires. Which locker were you looking at?

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Many people 4 wheel Jeeps with D35's in them for years with no issues. I wouldn't put that kind of money in that axle though, buy a d44 and put the money in it. A rear 44 isn't that expensive but, I would definitely get rid of the crappy gearing you have now.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Welcome to the world of upgrades...... First things first,

I agree 3.07's are horrible but, you must gear to your tire size not just pick some random number.

what size tires are you running?

do you plan on running larger tires?

Is this your daily driver?

what kind of 4 wheeling are you going to do, easy, moderate, or extreme trails?

I see your in Tucson, If your thinking about Chiva Falls, the San Francisco River, and some of the other areas in Southeast AZ you'd be fine with a Super 35 if you learn to wheel with finesse and pick your lines carefully. A D44 would be better, Dana 60's would be best.

The Dana 35 is a decent rear axle if it's built into a Super 35 with a locker and 30 spline axles. Some folks still run these and do some extreme trails with them. You must stay at 33" or smaller tires with the Super 35, anything larger than 33's would not be a wise choice.

Would a D44 be better maybe so, by the time you pick up a 44 build it with a locker you'll have anywhere between $1800 - $2000 into it, now add 33 spline alloy axles and your into it for $2300 or more.

The Super 35 will run from $1000 -$1500 depending on locker choice and axle selection and it will be as strong as a stock axle shaft D44.

There are other options like the Ford 8.8, unless you can weld and feel comfortable in setting up all the required brackets and mounts. You'll have to pay someone to do it. You could easily get into a $1000 doing that. Now add a locker or an LSD and your into it for a possible $1600 or more.

A Ford 9" is also an option, far superior to the Jeep D44 or the Ford 8.8, they are widely available in your area. Combine that with a D44HP out of a 77- 79 F150 or 78 - 79 Bronco. Could pick up both those axles for the price of the rear D44 for a TJ. Granted you'd need to weld the brackets and mounts to these along with some steering modifications, but you'll be money ahead in the long run.

My best suggestion to you is do your homework get quotes from folks for all your options. Then decide what will work for you.

If you can, head down to Bisbee and stop in at Highway 92 Service Center. The folks down there can set you up with everything you need, have the knowledge to guide you in your decision, and the expertise to build your rig.
Tell them Mudbug sent you....

Reactions: Dextreme

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW, That is awesome information. To answer some of the questions, I like this as a daily driver, I have and prefer the 33" tires, and I have only done one trail since owning the jeep, but will probably stick to moderate 3-4 rated trails. I am really just looking to learn how to drive trails properly at this point. My big concern is building a machine that can take me out of harms way in the event of a major crisis, say to somewhere south of the border if need be. I am looking into some places that may offer some shelter in that event. I am obviously new at the game, but have a technology career so I will learn quickly, but there is a lot to know and some pieces wont really make sense until I gain the experience first hand. I am not really comfortable with welding and such, but would love to talk to some folks who know how to get me where I need to be with the suspension and drive train. The guys over at my local 4WheelParts shop so far are not inspiring a lot of confidence, since they installed my Rubicon Express 4.5" lift, the jeep wanders in its lane over 50 MPH and requires oversteering. They have a ten day follow-up where I will address this, but I will not likely continue to use them for future mods.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
I am not certain but didn't autos come out with 3:56's because of the OD tranny.
I'm probably wrong again which is nothing new.

·
Super Moderator
6,897 Posts
I am not certain but didn't autos come out with 3:56's because of the OD tranny.
nope, and he doesnt have o/d.

OP, you may want to keep your eyes on CL and other classified boards as you may find a set d30/d35 axles with 4.10 gears in them off of a 4 banger. then just add an aussie and enjoy. probably get it done for under $1k.

IIRC, some XJ's also came with 4.10 gears and the front axle is a high pinion bolt in swap. may find some junkyard gold and save a ton of cash while increasing strength and DS clearance

·
Registered
76 Posts
My auto came with 3:73's. You must be confusing 3:56 with 4:56 which I upgraded to now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts