Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I want lockers for my jeep axles and I'm not wanting to spend crazy money on something I would use rarely. I'm looking at lunchbox lockers for the front and rear Dana 30/35 axles. I'd only be using the lockers when I go to the drive on beach or small trails where I ride my dirt bike. This is my daily driver and I want to know what people have to say about these lockers in a daily

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Installing a lunchbox locker in your front axle is the best option given your intended usage and limited budget. The locker will not be noticeable in 2wd. A rear lunchbox locker will cause undesirable driving characteristics on the road and should be avoided. Besides, your rear axle is weak and best left open.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
As Blort said the lunchbox in the front is a good choice. Mine works well and on road you don't notice it except when turning really sharply it can sort of do a "soft lock" where my tire will skip a little. Off-road is great.

The D35 cannot handle a locker unless it was beefed up into a Super 35, which you would most likely be getting a full case replacement instead of a lunchbox locker. Automatic lockers are not super desirable in a rear axle, and definitely are not ideal if your Jeep is a manual. If you want some more traction I would suggest a Detroit TrueTrac for the rear which is a very good limited slip differential.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The D35 cannot handle a locker unless it was beefed up into a Super 35, which you would most likely be getting a full case replacement instead of a lunchbox locker. Automatic lockers are not super desirable in a rear axle, and definitely are not ideal if your Jeep is a manual. If you want some more traction I would suggest a Detroit TrueTrac for the rear which is a very good limited slip differential.
That's odd...I have a Detroit full locker in my Super 35 with a manual trans, barely noticeable on the street if you know how to drive with one. Which that knowledge doesn't take long to master once it's installed.

Unless of course you were specifically referring to a lunchbox locker in the rear. Which isn't a real good idea for a street driven Jeep.

I will agree though, a stock 27 spline axle D35 should never be locked. If you do install a TrueTrac in the rear, would highly recommend 1541H axles the stock 1040 axles are weak at best.

A Lunchbox like the Aussie, Spartan, Lockright are good choices for the front unless you plan on using 4wd in the snow or ice. That's a death wish! It will want to go in a straight line and steering capability will be seriously diminished.

Honesty TJ's are quite capable in the stock form, if you don't want to spend crazy money on something you'll rarely use, leave it alone. To install a Truetrac or any LSD your going to spend somewhere near a $1000 for each differential. It will need to be professionally installed with having the backlash and possibly the pinion depth setup. Not something that most would recommend a layman to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts