Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m asking for a friend but does anybody know if a lunchbox locker for the Dana 30 is the same part for both yj’sand TJ’s

1992, 4.0,5 spd, BDS 4.5 heavy duty lift, jb conversions ss sye, 8.8 with ARB, Aussie front, tj shafts, dual dia.brake booster, 33” bfg a/t

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks

1992, 4.0,5 spd, BDS 4.5 heavy duty lift, jb conversions ss sye, 8.8 with ARB, Aussie front, tj shafts, dual dia.brake booster, 33” bfg a/t

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just asking for curiosity, Are the splines different or the shaft diameter or???

I doubt it’s the spline shaft or diameter because I have TJ shafts?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I am pretty sure they are the same but not 100% i would do some part number referencing to be 100% sure.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yep they are the same

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, found the fitment years for all the vehicles. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My apologies. I assumed because of the high pinion - low pinion they would be different.
The only difference between high pinion and a regular D30 is the reverse cut ring and pinion. Of course, the high pinion is stronger, also a tad bit more clearance for the driveline and better driveline angles.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Considered a locker just for the front axel D30. Was told chromemoly axels and slip shaft, and maybe even a tranny upgrade.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Considered a locker just for the front axle D30. Was told chrome-moly axles and slip shaft, and maybe even a tranny upgrade.

Have you ever been off road?

Weight transfer will tell you with only a front locker you gain very little traction.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Not true.... front locker can be VERY helpful... if you don't think the front does much, try wheeling in 2wd

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Well, actual experience tells me a whole lot different. And I didn't say it wouldn't help, I said with weight transfer there is very little gain. Ever try to climb a big hill, the front end is light rear end heavy. Front will lose traction before the rear.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went through the Rubicon 2x and often forgot my rear was not locked. I said, let’s see how far we could go without it. It was seldom used or needed. The front lunchbox was the cheapest and best upgrade I made. Granted I would prefer the ARB up front as well but it wasn’t in the budget at the time. I’m not sure if I will ever change to a selectable only because it only sees the trails maybe once a year(mainly a daily driver). But I’m very impressed with the performance of the lunchbox.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Well, actual experience tells me a whole lot different. And I didn't say it wouldn't help, I said with weight transfer there is very little gain. Ever try to climb a big hill, the front end is light rear end heavy. Front will lose traction before the rear.
So your "actual experience" includes wheeling the same jeep both with open diffs on both ends and w the front locked and open rear?
My "actual experience" does and it makes a huge difference...

For those that are actually interested... it wasn't my jeep, it was a close friend's 4 cyl yj w 33" tsl's...
I had been doubtful and tried to talk him out of the front locker.... he ignored me and got it anybow.... 5 min into the test run after we put it in I had to admit I had been wrong.... this was about 10 years ago and to this day he still gives me shit about it....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
This might get interesting.
No, it won't I'm not going to continue this with him. Considering he has been a member on this forum for 2 years and has well over 6000 posts it would be a safe assumption that he spends more time behind his keyboard than he does wheeling.

Nuff Said

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
^ yes you will.... maybe not on this thread but there will be plenty more chances for you to consider someone stupid because they don't do something the same way you do it....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts