Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and read many post about lockers and gears. I have 1 2016 JKU 75th edition with 285 75 17 now and will probable go to 35 later. I have an automatic with 3.73 gears and would like to add at least front lockers and trutrac in the rear. I live in Pensacola Florida so the 3.73 gears are OK but I do have the dana 30 axle in front. I am not a rock crawler but do like to off road when I can. I also like to do things right the first time to save money in the long run but I don't want to break the bank.
Just wanted to see what the best option would be.

1. Add a Dana 40 with locker in the front with 3.73 gears (if that can be done)
2. Change gears front and back to 4.56 and add locker to front and trutrac to rear
3. Change gears and add lockers front and back.
I do not have on board air at this time.

So what would be the best over all choice without braking the bank?
What do you think a shop would charge for parts and install?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Well, if you go to a D44 with a locker, you can install 3.73 gears now. The carrier break is at 3.73 so you can reuse the carrier if you regear to 4.56 later.

A pair of truetrac's might be a better option for you. There is nothing wrong with going to 4.56 gears with a front selectable locker and a rear truetrac either.

If your funds allow, skip the 3.73's and go directly to the 4.56's.

Reactions: SBAmadeo

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Shop charges vary based locality.

My gear change labor was 600 otd. Others pay more for the same labor.

Since you live in FL, I would just regear and add rear traction device.

For the front, I would venture out on local trails and see if you really need an upgrade. Depending on your usage, it might be a waste of $$. So only you can answer that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just added trutrac to the rear only. Then try It on the trails and if needed I’ll go with e-selectable lockers in front

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
I have searched and read many post about lockers and gears. I have 1 2016 JKU 75th edition with 285 75 17 now and will probable go to 35 later. I have an automatic with 3.73 gears and would like to add at least front lockers and trutrac in the rear. I live in Pensacola Florida so the 3.73 gears are OK but I do have the dana 30 axle in front. I am not a rock crawler but do like to off road when I can. I also like to do things right the first time to save money in the long run but I don't want to break the bank.
Just wanted to see what the best option would be.

1. Add a Dana 40 with locker in the front with 3.73 gears (if that can be done)
2. Change gears front and back to 4.56 and add locker to front and trutrac to rear
3. Change gears and add lockers front and back.
I do not have on board air at this time.

So what would be the best over all choice without braking the bank?
What do you think a shop would charge for parts and install?
You can certainly swap in a D44 front axle from a Rubicon. It likely won't be cheap, but they are out there and available in a 3.73 gear option. You can add a switch to engage the front locker.
I like option two the best, that is what my sister in-law did for 35's on her JK. It works well.
Option three is fine, but I don't think it sounds like you need lockers front and rear. For more casual wheeling, where you are not rock crawling and putting tires up in the air, a set of TrueTracs will be more useful in my opinion.
A hybrid option would be a D44 out of a Rubicon up front (with its e-locker), re-gear, and add a Truetrac in the rear. That is what we have, and it is a great combo. We rarely need to lock the front, most of the work is done by the Truetrac. You don't need to turn it on, it is always there waiting for wheel spin to do its thing.

The cost was going to be around $2400 for the re-gear and two Truetracs ($1400 for the re-gear, plus two Truetracs at $500 a pop), then we changed plans and swapped in the used D44. That added roughly $1300 to the cost ($1800 for the used D44, minus $500 for the second Truetrac I no longer needed).

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I have been down the path. First step for you is to answer the question... What is your budget? I see you said you dont want to break the bank but that is a very open statement. At least give us a price "range" with a maximum you will want to spend. Happy Jeeping.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Very similar position as you. I did the gear swap first without any traction addition as I have the factory limited slip in the rear. I opted to leave the front open on my D30 because I have read to much on the internet and think my font axle is made of toothpicks. I wish I had added a rear locker or mechanical traction control to the rear at the time of my regear in hindsight but I also only had enough money for the gear swap at the time.

Gearing is very much worth it. And maybe I'm not trying hard enough trails but 4Lo has gotten me every where I have tried (I have admittedly avoided some of the harder stuff to not break stuff)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been down the path. First step for you is to answer the question... What is your budget? I see you said you dont want to break the bank but that is a very open statement. At least give us a price "range" with a maximum you will want to spend. Happy Jeeping.
I want it done right the first time so my budget can be a little flexible but I would say around 3,000.00. I am just in the early planning phase and looking at options.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
TruTrac in the rear only and try that out. You can ad a TruTrac in the front later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
A thought is to try and find some Rubi take offs for that money as stated above by Guzzi. It gives you 2 electric lockers and D44's front and rear. You can always upgrade from there but the 4.10 gearing is what you will shoot for in the takeoffs so your tire size and wheeling will work. You can even go up to 33's and probably 35's even without noticable power loss. If you ever want to upgrade in the future its possible but the Rubi takeoffs are decent for moderate use. Just my 2 cents. Search around for them. Good Luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A thought is to try and find some Rubi take offs for that money as stated above by Guzzi. It gives you 2 electric lockers and D44's front and rear. You can always upgrade from there but the 4.10 gearing is what you will shoot for in the takeoffs so your tire size and wheeling will work. You can even go up to 33's and probably 35's even without noticable power loss. If you ever want to upgrade in the future its possible but the Rubi takeoffs are decent for moderate use. Just my 2 cents. Search around for them. Good Luck.
If I could find a good set a reasonable price this would be a great option. I don't think I would need anything more than that for a while.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone know of a good place to look for rubicon axles? I have googled but not had much luck. I am sure they are rare and difficult to find.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Anyone know of a good place to look for rubicon axles? I have googled but not had much luck. I am sure they are rare and difficult to find.
They're sure not so easy to find, but sometimes show up on local CL, usually from the folks who upgrading their rigs to Dana 60.

I've got mine couple years ago (set of Rubi D44's with 3.73 gears, ~5000 miles) from the local shop for $3000

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
Ours came from a shop that had pulled it to install a better front axle on a customers rig. Not the cheapest place to get one from, but I think it was an OK price.
They aren't common, and sometimes the person selling seems to think they are more desirable than they are.
To be clear, you already have a D44 in the back, and while a Rubicon D44 has some slight differences beyond the e locker, I would just look for a front D44 and upgrade the D44 rear axle you already have. That would probably be cheaper. If you don't want better gearing, a front D44 in 3.73 gears along with your rear D44, plus add a TrueTrac to your rear and you would be fine. You can take the extra money and invest in Track Bars, Tie Rod, etc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After doing so more research and pricing It may be better to just upgrade the front axle. I am fine with the gears for now and they will probable be fine for the life of me jeep in Florida. My question is what parts would I need to change to a D44 with locker in the front? Then can I just add trutrac 3.73 to my rear? I think this would give me piece of mind a D44 and a locker. So now I need to figure out parts and prices.

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
You can either buy a used D44 from a Rubicon, which would bolt right up using your knuckles and brakes, or you can buy a new D44 like from Core (the cheapest new option I think), Dynatrac, TeraFlex, Currie, etc.. A new one would likely also use your stock knuckles and brakes. Typically when upgrading from a D30 to a D44 you are getting new out to the ball joints, and past that you are reusing stock. All your steering linkages, tie rod, and track bar would be stock as well.
A used D44 should run you under two grand. A new D44 starts over three grand and can quickly get up around four grand with options (like axle shaft upgrades, better ball joints, type of locker).
If you aren't going past 35's, and aren't regearing, I think your money could be better spent elsewhere. But that is up to you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For what you are doing, and what you seem to be planning on doing, don't spend the money on a 44. Just sleeve and gusset the 30. For about 120 you can get the sleeve kit and it will be nearly the same diameter as the 44. Regear and do lockers at the same time. Id definitely go with 4.56 as the 4.88 get a little big for the Dana 30. Im at this exact same point in my build. The jeep had 35s on it when I bought it and you can feel the lack of power on the road, so regear is a must.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
For what you are doing, and what you seem to be planning on doing, don't spend the money on a 44. Just sleeve and gusset the 30. For about 120 you can get the sleeve kit and it will be nearly the same diameter as the 44. Regear and do lockers at the same time. Id definitely go with 4.56 as the 4.88 get a little big for the Dana 30. Im at this exact same point in my build. The jeep had 35s on it when I bought it and you can feel the lack of power on the road, so regear is a must.
I'd sleeve/gusset the front, 4.56 gears, trutrac the rear, and declare victory.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd sleeve/gusset the front, 4.56 gears, trutrac the rear, and declare victory.
Is it possible to change to 4.56 gears front and back keeping the dana 30 in the front and sleeve and gusset it and add truetrac front and rear? If it could be done what are the parts need and approximate cost? I just want to make it more capable and geared correct all at one time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts