Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm tossing around the idea adding a locker/limited slip to the rear of my 97 TJ.

I don't OFF-ROAD a lot, but there have been several times where it would have been nice.
Since my Jeep is more of my Toy than my DD, Spending a large amount of money isn't the plan.
So, I'm looking for suggestions on a unit that is streetable and not too pricey...

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
What rear axle do you have? Dana 35 or Dana 44? If it's a 35 most here wouldn't recommend adding a locker unless you're going to do something like a Revolution Super 35 kit which runs ~$1000 for a Detroit locker and alloy axles or ~$1400 for an ARB locker and alloy axles. An Eaton Truetrac ~$400 is probably the best limited slip unit. Have you looked into adding an inexpensive locker to the front?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
Yes knowing what your rear axle is, Dana 35 or Dana 44, is very important to making recommendations.

Do you need 4x4 to get around during the weather in your part of Illinois, or is your Jeep parked during the worst parts of the winter?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
You'd probably be better off just doing Trutracs, cheaper & they are better than having open diffs. They are reliable too

·
Registered
179 Posts
I say skip the rear and get an Aussie locker for the front. Cheap and it can be done yourself. Better offroad and don't notice it while driving except some clicking while turning but that's it. Definitely your only option if you do have a D35 in the rear.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep a 35

Drive all winter long or at least when as much as possible

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't bother with the rear. Throwing money at a D35 is like beating your pecker with a hammer. I'd opt for the front aussie or spartan locker. Then save for a d44 or 8.8 upgrade. You'll be quiet suprised what a Jeep with only a front locker and open rear can do. Plus like I said it's cheap and anyone can do it.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
He said he hardly off-roads, I'm guessing the 35 is just fine for his situation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't bother with the rear. Throwing money at a D35 is like beating your pecker with a hammer. I'd opt for the front aussie or spartan locker. Then save for a d44 or 8.8 upgrade. You'll be quiet suprised what a Jeep with only a front locker and open rear can do. Plus like I said it's cheap and anyone can do it.
I run an Aussie in my D30 and a TrueTrac in my 8.8 out back. Haven't found anything that could stop me yet! It's a great combo.

·
Detail Oriented
3,184 Posts
My opinion is to stick a Detroit TrueTrac in the rear and a Spartan in the front.
_________

1. The Spartan is stupid easy to install and works very well. It is cheaper than an Aussie, too.

2. The TrueTrac works quite well for what it is, and it is a very dependable unit.
_________

If you drive in snow and ice in 4WD a lot then I would recommend you leave the front open and put the LSD in the rear. If you off-roaded more often then I would definitely add the Spartan up front.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He said he hardly off-roads, I'm guessing the 35 is just fine for his situation.
in my neck of the woods... not a lot of OFF-ROAD opportunities...

I like like have limited slip in my 2WD Colorado... thought it would be great in my JEEP too.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Detroit Locker - Dana 35 TrueTrac | 4WD.com

So, I'm guessing I'm going with this...
Seems like it'll be best choice for the money....
For what I get to do around the flat lands of IL... this will more than cover my needs.

I know others have suggested & would like me to swap out for a D44 or 8.8, but that's not in the cards...
First and foremost, this is a budget JEEP. Putting that kind of stuff in on a 4 banger seems like major ($$$$$) over kill.
I wish the sky was the limit... but with my wife 2 girls, mortgage, 3 other vehicles to maintain and 4 dogs....

My JEEP gets general maintenance and the occasional add on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You'll have to let us know how this turns out. I'm in Iowa and have the 35 in rear without tons of money. So I'm interested in what you think of this set up.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You'll have to let us know how this turns out. I'm in Iowa and have the 35 in rear without tons of money. So I'm interested in what you think of this set up.
Will Do....
Probably be a couple of weeks...

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well according to UPS.com, my L.S.D. was to arrive tomorrow....
Well, sitting on my front step today was a box from 4WD.com.... and inside was my Limited Slip Differential.... I was pretty happy to see it...
I called my mechanic buddy. He said, drop it by on Thursday.

He's going to work it in on Thursday and/or Friday.
I'd planned to install it myself, but work and time aren't going to allow if for awhile. So, my buddy Chris offered to help me out.

I can't wait....

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Installed.... my buddy got it installed. :drinks:
Presently, and hopefully forever, NO POPS in the corners.
He said, it was a piece of cake (easy for him to say).... No issues.

Last night we got snow... and wouldn't you know it.... I took my truck to work... bummer... so I haven't driven it yet. That is... besides bringing it home.

I can tell you, the brakes got readjusted on my wrangler (rears)... dang, they are touchy...

if issues come up, I'll post them...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts