Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the concept of them locking the differential, i am just wondering how you engage them, and what you need to be in gear wise, and when you should release them. Any info appreciated! Please, feel free to talk to me like a 5 year old (I mean that, I have no knowledge of them)

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
How you engage them depends upon the type. Usually some type of switch will be involved if they are selectable. The gear you are in for your transmission has nothing to do with your differentials. Ideally you would be off road in a low gear and low speed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am looking for a JK, used to have a TJ. I am not getting a Rubi, nothing against Rubicon owners but I like to work on my wrangler, I don't like stock flair. So no, I will not be buying one with lockers. And yes, I did say to be basic, no worries friend...

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Thats interesting that you think a Rubicon is "non-workable"

I am looking for a JK, used to have a TJ. I am not getting a Rubi, nothing against Rubicon owners but I like to work on my wrangler, I don't like stock flair. So no, I will not be buying one with lockers. And yes, I did say to be basic, no worries friend...
I've been working on my Rubi, for over three years and I like stock flair, I don't think I've modified my Rubi steering wheel yet !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said, no disrespect, I just want one that is basic, and I can add the mods I need. Please don't take offense... And you have to admit, there are a lot of jeeps out there that are pavement only and just for show.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I understand the concept of them locking the differential, i am just wondering how you engage them, and what you need to be in gear wise, and when you should release them. Any info appreciated! Please, feel free to talk to me like a 5 year old (I mean that, I have no knowledge of them)

Huge subject - here is a good place to start: How Differentials Work: lockers, limited slips, etc

T

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Thats a true statement, a lotta "BLING" otherwise known as "Mall Units"!

Like I said, no disrespect, I just want one that is basic, and I can add the mods I need. Please don't take offense... And you have to admit, there are a lot of jeeps out there that are pavement only and just for show.
I know your feelings, I just wanna make sure that you know, a Rubi starts off with over $5K worth of stock mods(warranty), most would love to have and I've gone quite a way from there--

Trouble you're gonna have is that all the JK/JKUs retain there prices, so you'll haveto really look for a good deal on a JK/JKU sport or X !

Good luck--keep your eyes and ears open-

--JIMBO

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I never thought of warranty, to be honest I would rather get a TJ, but the bank wants the loan to be on a vehicle less than 3 years old. But with that warranty tip, I may just start looking for Rubi's...

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
eldeeder said:
Wow, I never thought of warranty, to be honest I would rather get a TJ, but the bank wants the loan to be on a vehicle less than 3 years old. But with that warranty tip, I may just start looking for Rubi's...
Right. If you want the "mods" a rubi has (eg, lockers, e-discos, lower t-case, D44 front, etc.), there's no cheaper (or factory warrantied) way to get them then getting a rubi to begin with. Conversely, if you don't want those particular "mods" (eg, you want LSDs instead of lockers, etc.), you're better off saving money and getting a sport to mod as you like.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D I'm afraid the warranty isn't the BEST reason for the Rubi purchase-

It's the added cost of the suspension/elex, that-ONLY A SMALL PERCENTAGE, actually install when they purchase a sport/X-etc-

Right. If you want the "mods" a rubi has (eg, lockers, e-discos, lower t-case, D44 front, etc.), there's no cheaper (or factory warrantied) way to get them then getting a rubi to begin with. Conversely, if you don't want those particular "mods" (eg, you want LSDs instead of lockers, etc.), you're better off saving money and getting a sport to mod as you like.
That is straight to the core issue and so true !

I've had my Rubi for 3 yrs/3 months and I'm constantly modifyingit-but

The only Rubi equip. that I've removed-are the tires/wheels and diff. gears-

You really have to WANT a Rubi--you'll never NEED one !

Good luck

·
First Jeep: M38A1
368 Posts
I don't know about that - I NEED my Rubi. It just wouldn't be right to have RUBICON stickers on the hood of anything else. :D

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: There have been those that have done, just that-

I don't know about that - I NEED my Rubi. It just wouldn't be right to have RUBICON stickers on the hood of anything else. :D
I can understand your logic, also why you don't own a Golden Lab-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts