Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
for the front, go to a parking lot and turn the locker on, then try to drive around in circles or figure 8's and see if the steering fights you when trying to turn. If so, then you know your axle is locked. For the rear you could do the same thing and see if the back wheels chirp or have a binding feeling when you make tight turns with the locker engaged, but the back might be harder to tell. You could also find some grass, hit the back locker, and try to do a little burn out to make sure both wheels turn, but that could just be the LSD working rather than the locker.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have an 03 Rubicon...and two years back on the trails at a jeep jamboree the lockers would not lock. You can tell by the 'locker' indicator light in the upper right hand corner of your dashboard. If it blinks or goes out, means it hasn't locked in.
After spending $1000 to have a ViAir on board system put in to replace the original 'air pumps' for the lockers-it did the same thing. Back to the mechanic, and he realized that it wasn't the original lockers, it was the SWITCH that went bad. $49 part....duh...
your rubicon is the same age as mine, so I would suggest checking your switch.
And don't try 'burning out' with the lockers on-you are supposed to stay below 15 mph...or you can snap an axle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a ? im looking at buying a 02 sport that he told me had 4.88 on front and back and has auto rear locker. ive heard that is good for trails but a bad combo on the street or interstate so what would it need to ride better on thwe street?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2005 Rubicon.

How does the Axle Lock work?

Does the transfer case only have to be in low range for it to operate?

If this is the case, can a switch be installed to override this and have the Axle Lock in high range?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts