Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im stuck which style of locker would you guys recommend, air or electronic? i live in wisconsin it snows and ices here so its one of the two, just not sure which way to go

·
Registered
583 Posts
Neither. I recommend ox lockers. They're cable actuated and have less moving parts. They work flawlessly and the cover they come with looks pretty cool too

·
Knows a couple things...
49,123 Posts
Neither. I recommend ox lockers. They're cable actuated and have less moving parts. They work flawlessly and the cover they come with looks pretty cool too
I definitely can't agree Ox Lockers have less moving parts or work flawlessly. If they were both of those, they would be far more popular with builders than they are. :)

JeepWrangler4x4, what axle do you plan to install it into, what size tires, and just don't make plans to install it into the rear axle if it's a Dana 35c. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this is for the HP30 im building the rear is going to be 8.8 it does have limited slip at the moment. 33 inch tires

·
Knows a couple things...
49,123 Posts
If you have the $$$, it's my personal opinion you can't do better than an ARB Air Locker.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
well there my winter project basicly, how are the electronic lockers tho?
Which ones? The aftermarket ones, that I am aware of, don't truly lock but, are glorified limited slip, instead. Admittedly, I do not keep up with them because, the couple that run them in my club, never seem to have them functioning, as advertised.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have an ARB in my rear d44 and plan to build a hp30 for my front, it will be getting an ARB air locker as well. We see a lot of snow in the winter here in Oregon and I like to play in the rocks so it's the best choice for me.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

·
Administrator
12,606 Posts
another vote for arb's I ran front and rear when I had the TJ.. never had a problem.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,123 Posts
The aftermarket ones, that I am aware of, don't truly lock but, are glorified limited slip, instead.
You're describing the Auburn ECTED which is clutch-based and a combination of an LSD and a (barely) locker. I personally wouldn't touch or even consider an ECTED.

Eaton's E-Locker is electric and is a true full case "hard" locker. It works well in the D30 and D44, it apparently doesn't do well in the Ford 8.8 axle. Personally, I'd put the E-Locker in second place behind the ARB when choosing between selectable lockers.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
allright guess it will be air lockers, what size tubing to those use, havent had a chance to read up on them to much?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,123 Posts
allright guess it will be air lockers, what size tubing to those use, havent had a chance to read up on them to much?
ARB's locker/compressor kits provide the correct size air hose needed to install them.

If you happen to notice ARB also sells a heavy-duty version of that hose, ignore it and avoid using it. Even ARB says in their FAQ not to use it since their extra-heavy duty air hose is so hard to break that it can sometimes pull a fitting out instead of snapping cleanly and leaving an easy 30 second repair. Replacing a fitting is seldom an easy field repair, a snapped air hose is a 30 second repair using ARB's quick-splice kit. ARB only added the extra heavy duty tubing at the insistance of a few customers who won't listen to ARB's advice. Not to mention that like properly routed fuel lines and brake lines, properly routed air lines don't get snagged. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have an 8.8 rear with a Detroit automatic locker and d30 front with Detroit Trutrac LSD. 4.56 gears, 97 Sahara i6 3spd

I'm pleased

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i was planning on using some tube like what i use on semi trailers and such which are 1/4 OD 1/8 ID on up, it holds up to pretty much everything.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
My Ziplockers use standard 1/4 inch airline, the ARB's use a metric size like 5mm or something. Some guys use an adaptor fitting so you only use a short piece from the bulkhead fitting to the adaptor then run 1/4 inch all the way to the compressor. Then you will have a bunch of extra for repairs of the short piece.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Dont mean to hyjack, but i feel it is relevant. Would someone be able to post a picture of how they ran their air locker air lines? Im buying a super35 with ARB soon and am looking for ideas. Thanks in advanced.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts