Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Cables stretch, electrical connections corrode and wires break. Sure you can rip an air line off but i carry an extra length of tube with me in my winching bag it wouldent take long to replace and would require no tools. I dont run a fancy onbord air system i just run a cheap Viair 90c it dont run much and when it dies i can rebuild it or just buy a new one. Air compressors dont last long mounted under the hood they are not a great idea for airing up tires with i would rather have one in a bag inside the cab to use for doing that they will last much longer.
Is the Ox air lockers the only ones that would not need tools if the tube breaks? If the cables on the mechanical Ox lockers break or stretch would you need tools to replace the cable?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is the Ox air lockers the only ones that would not need tools if the tube breaks? If the cables on the mechanical Ox lockers break or stretch would you need tools to replace the cable?
Ox makes a screw in lock so if your activation device fails for any reason you can crawl under there and lock them until you're off the trail. That's another unique feature of theirs that ARB and Eaton don't have.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
I dont have any experience with how ARB fittings work. I think the fitting on the axle uses a compression fitting and i think i have read they are somewhat expensive to replace if you mess it up. They look like this, but i think the fitting at the compressor is a quick release fitting like OX uses on everything but are more expensive to replace if you mess one up because ARB overcharges for everything and uses metric fittings that are less common here.

This is what OX uses you push down on the plastic part and you can pull the plastic air line tube out by hand with no tools. And if you ever mess the fitting up and it needs to be replaced they are $4 since they are a part common in the US they are easy to get.

ARB air solenoids are about $80 a piece and OX locker solenoids are just standard MAC valves that are extremely common and cheap to find in the US. I bought some Ingersoll Rand valves because they were the cheapest ones i could find on ebay at the time. And insted of buying an expensive manifold fitting to run the valves i went to my local hardware store and bought a 4 way fitting and some 1/4"npt nipples. This set up works well and dont leak any air at all.

And if you wanted to run braided stainless instead of plastic tube you can easily do that but it will cost more.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
The only complaint I've ever heard of the cables was from being improperly installed. I've never heard of them stretching.
Well all cables stretch, bike brake cables, ATV/dirt bike brake and clutch cables, CAD axle disconnect cable, Winch cables. Cables just stretch with use and you have to adjust them and it's just something that irks me i just dont like cables. Air works and it works well and you will know instantly if you have a problem and plastic tubing is much easier to run than a cable. You dont need to find a place to mount goofy levers you can just put some switches on the dash and everything is just cleaner.

Reactions: pc1p

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Might be a stupid question, but I was watching some off roading shows and some guys were testing a Mercedes 6x6 and they said that something unique about it was that you could engage its lockers while you were driving. They also said that most lockers had to be engaged while stopped and on flat ground. Is this true? It seems to me that the mechanism of any locker would break if you engaged it while driving. I mean sticking something into moving grears seems like it would break something. Am I wrong and you can engage any locker while driving?

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Engaging/Disengaging while driving is fine with the Eatons, that I know for sure.

Reactions: pc1p

·
Registered
259 Posts
Afaik, you can engage basically any locker while driving as long as both wheels are moving the same speed. It's generally advised to not do it while moving too fast though (ie. single digit MPH).

·
Registered
259 Posts
I run my OX lockers off air that is shifted with a fork. If a o ring ever goes bad all i have to do is remove the cover to replace it. ARB's have o rings inside the carrier so if one goes bad you have to pull the carrier to fix it. And with an OX locker if your air system goes down on a trail you can put a $25 drive away lock in it to lock the carrier to get off the trail until you can make proper repairs. I love my OX lockers they are the best way to go and i run mine of $20 MAC valves and a $50 viair compressor.
What axles do you have your Ox lockers on? Stock TJ axles?

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Reactions: steves92

·
Registered
259 Posts
And you have no issues with clearance during maximum flexing? I had someone claim that Ox's thick cover causes clearance issues but I had never heard that before.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
And you have no issues with clearance during maximum flexing? I had someone claim that Ox's thick cover causes clearance issues but I had never heard that before.
I forgot about that issue with stock jeep knuckles since knuckle arms are shorter. I am running Chevy flat top knuckles that stick out an extra inch or so and "1 ton" steering with 1.5" DOM tube. Mine dont rub at all but i guess it depends on how your steering is set up. But that is a good thing to consider and research.

Reactions: Captain Phoenix

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yes, exactly. What would be some differences in the functionality that I should consider? I have looked into different brands and they (not surprisingly) all promote there own brands. I am new to Jeeps and off roading so I do not understand what they are saying when they promote there brands with the specific functionality of their locker. Any advice and info/explanation would be greatly appreciated.
What are your anticipated driving conditions? Hard offroading? Easy offroading? Daily winter onroad?

Which rear diff do you have, Dana 44 or Dana 35? What's your anticipated tire size? Auto or manual?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
What are your anticipated driving conditions? Hard offroading? Easy offroading? Daily winter onroad?

Which rear diff do you have, Dana 44 or Dana 35? What's your anticipated tire size? Auto or manual?
I anticipate driving easy offroading at first and eventually hard offroading. Will be using as a daily driver but have not bought the Jeep yet. Just researching for later application.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well all cables stretch, bike brake cables, ATV/dirt bike brake and clutch cables, CAD axle disconnect cable, Winch cables. Cables just stretch with use and you have to adjust them and it's just something that irks me i just dont like cables.
It was finding a location for the shift levers that made me not want to need with cables, I like the idea of a physical linkage and knowing for a fact they engaged. The cable stretch issue is just one more reason I don't want them now. I had been leaning towards electric but I'll reconsider air.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
What did that set you back? I did my 8.8 from them and it was close to three grand but I know I don’t have to worry about it for a while, especially if I end up selling it ha ha Ha and spending the money towards the LJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
What did that set you back? I did my 8.8 from them and it was close to three grand but I know I don’t have to worry about it for a while, especially if I end up selling it ha ha Ha and spending the money towards the LJ.

I went to the link and priced it out with Ox locker and RCV axles and it was around $5,500 for the front.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I run my OX lockers off air that is shifted with a fork. If a o ring ever goes bad all i have to do is remove the cover to replace it. ARB's have o rings inside the carrier so if one goes bad you have to pull the carrier to fix it. And with an OX locker if your air system goes down on a trail you can put a $25 drive away lock in it to lock the carrier to get off the trail until you can make proper repairs. I love my OX lockers they are the best way to go and i run mine of $20 MAC valves and a $50 viair compressor.
Wish I did more research and went with OX. I currently need to pull the carrier to replace a ring in my ARB. I love the idea of the lock to get you off the trail.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I gotta figure what I want to do first, the front or back? I’m thinking the front(d30) which appears all stock. Both are open diffs.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts