Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Electrical is easier to rig up (no compressor) but the magnetic clutch on the electrical system can take longer to lock than the air system. If you load up the diff before either one is fully locked can cause damage so usually faster engagement is better. Therefore the electrical works best if you anticipate its use.

Which units are you considering?

·
Administrator
42,252 Posts
My 2 cents worth:
  • Auto lockers
    • Good because they engage on their own and no wiring or hoses involved.
    • Bad because they engage on their own and can be trickey on ice and make noise on city streets.
  • Electric lockers
    • Good because no air pump or hoses needed
    • Bad because they are a little slower to engage and the internals wear out faster than air lockers.
  • Air lockers
    • Good because they are reliable and time proven
    • Bad because they require an air pump and the air lines can get holes in them and you are without lockers.
All that being said, based on all the options above, I opted for air lockers and don't regret my choice.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Going to derail ever so slightly, but what about an Aussie auto locker? Any major disadvantages with an auto locker?
The ratchet sound and the loud pop you can randomly get when turning turned me right off when putting them on a DD. I'd go for an air locker so you can use the compressor to fill up your tires after a air down.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Electrical is easier to rig up (no compressor) but the magnetic clutch on the electrical system can take longer to lock than the air system. If you load up the diff before either one is fully locked can cause damage so usually faster engagement is better. Therefore the electrical works best if you anticipate its use. Which units are you considering?
Looking like Yukon zip lockers

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2 cents worth:
  • Auto lockers
    • Good because they engage on their own and no wiring or hoses involved.
    • Bad because they engage on their own and can be trickey on ice and make noise on city streets.
  • Electric lockers
    • Good because no air pump or hoses needed
    • Bad because they are a little slower to engage and the internals wear out faster than air lockers.
  • Air lockers
    • Good because they are reliable and time proven
    • Bad because they require an air pump and the air lines can get holes in them and you are without lockers.
All that being said, based on all the options above, I opted for air lockers and don't regret my choice.
Electric do not wear out faster!! Air can get moisture in the lines in winter and freeze up on you had this bad experience once then replaced with electric lockers!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts