Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on these forums, so first off let me start by saying hello from northern Wisconsin :)

This summer I purchased a '01 wrangler and I must say that so far, I love it :) I went on some fun "adventures" with it this summer and must say that I was very impressed by how capable the vehicle was, even in its totally stock form.

My primary trips usually involve driving to the Keweenaw peninsula in the UP of Michigan. The most challenging terrain I encountered was on the shore of Lake Superior, consisting of small, loose beach stones - ranging in size from dime/quarter sized to roughly softball size. The only time I got stuck was crossing a small river (was the 2nd time, when i chose a more "challenging" route).

My main goals in the short term are doing modifications that give myself added traction. I have a Dana 30 in the front and a Dana 44 in the rear. I tested the D44 and I *believe* that it has limited slip from the factory. I tested this by jacking up the rear of the vehicle - when I free spin one tire, the opposing tire spins in the same direction. I believe that this indicates limited slip, correct? Anyways, I have a few questions -

1) What info do you guys have on this limited slip Diff that is seemingly factory equipped? My jeep has 83k on it, how confident can I be that this differential is actually going to get both of my rear tires spinning when I encounter low traction conditions? Any other general information on this diff would be appreciated.

2) My tentative plans are to leave the rear diff alone for the time being, and put a manual locker in the front. I've been doing quite a bit of research on this and have come across a few posts of people saying this is a bad idea... but have never encountered any actual evidence or reasons as for why this is? Adding a locking diff in the rear is definitely a possibility, but would be further down the road.

Sorry for being so wordy, I just wanted to make sure I gave enough info for accurate suggestions. Thanks in advance :)

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Sounds like you have Trac Loc in the rear...just an FYI, those clutches eventually wear out and it will act like an open diff once it does. Looks like yours is still good however...but 80k is where they're known for starting to wear out.

The reason a front locker is bad is if you drive in snowy/icy conditions, having the front locked will give you problems with understeer...when you turn left/right, you will continue going straight. If you get a selectable locker, you can just keep the locker off while on the roads and then kick it in off-roading when you need it. An auto locker would be a bad idea for you in the front though.

IMO, check out the Detroit TrueTracs...they're gear-based limited slip differentials that don't wear out like the clutch-based TracLoc and you can use them in snowy/icy road conditions. When your Trac Loc gives up the ghost, you could then add a TrueTrac in the rear as well.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
IMO, check out the Detroit TrueTracs...they're gear-based limited slip differentials that don't wear out like the clutch-based TracLoc and you can use them in snowy/icy road conditions. When your Trac Loc gives up the ghost, you could then add a TrueTrac in the rear as well.
x2. A full time locker in the front could cause headaches in winter conditions. The optimal set up in my opinion would be the truetrac in the front and a selectable locker rear. Best selectable locker out there would be arb.

·
Bludger
12,830 Posts
In my honest opinion, I would lock the rear & leave the front open untill you can put a locker in that also. I had the tracloc in mine when I got it & it was not much good for anything I didn't keep it long before I got lockers. I don't use the front locker a lot & you can get by without it, the rear is the first one to get.
I have ARB's & I am very happy with them

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far guys, I appreciate them. I think I might have used the slightly wrong term, i said "manual" locker - what i really did mean to say was "selectable". This is my DD, and living in northern Wisconsin, snow is DEFINITELY a factor. I have been researching the ARBs and the OX lockers, but thats a seperate thread all together.

I guess the reason is was thinking about doing the front first was that I seemingly had some sort of LSD in the rear. Putting a selectable locker in the front would seemingly get more tires spinning for me if I was only able to pony up the money for one before my Keweenaw adventures resume in the early spring. I was hesitant to pull out the trackloc in the rear, since a selectable locker would seemingly give me Less traction when not engaged. Guess I'll have to do some more research on these trackloc diffs.

Are there any easy ways to figure out how much life my trackloc has left in it? Easy meaning, not cracking the diff open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts