Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I grew up when you had to crawl out on the hood of yer truck and reach down in the mud puddle to lock the hubs with a twist.

Do these new fangled Jeeps with the electronic differential lockers have a hub locking function?

I guess I thought I knew, but now I realize I actually never thought abut it.

The best I can figure out is that the hubs are locked full time, but is that full time in "4", or full time in both "4" and "2"?

Thank you.

·
Administrator
12,562 Posts
They use a unit hub, so nothing to lock or turn.. been that way since the YJ.. nothing to grease usually last 100k miles or so.. depending on use, abuse etc.. same part with or with out a locker in the diff.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help.

Are the front hubs dragging the front drive system all the way back to the transfer case the whole time you are driving in rear wheel drive mode?

Thank you.

·
Administrator
12,562 Posts
Thanks for your help.

Are the front hubs dragging the front drive system all the way back to the transfer case the whole time you are driving in rear wheel drive mode?

Thank you.
YJ and new JL have a disconnect on the axle that helps with some of the drag.. the Tj and JK didn't.. so things are turning on all but some are more freely turning. Not sure the exact in's and outs on each model.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yeah, after the CJ, they went to a unit bearing. It's a single assembly that the outer shaft sticks through and is held on with a nut torqued pretty tight. No way to unlock the outers any more.

I think it has to do mostly with assembly costs.

Jeep has been using the axle disconnect system off and on, here and there, for years. The old SJ Grand Wagoneer had solid drive slugs in place of the locking hubs on its old school Dana 44 but also ran the axle disconnect for a couple of years. The YJ wrangler and XJ both ran the disconnect for a few years each. The TJ Wrangler, JK Wrangler and all Grand Cherokees have the unit bearings and no disconnect. The JL re-introduced us to the disconnect.

There is some argument about how much the axle disconnect really helps with mileage. It must do something because it's expensive to add to an axle and FCA wouldn't add that expense and complexity if it didn't help them meet their target numbers.

But all that complexity comes back to bite you decades down the road when the control system wears out. The old systems are vacuum operated and when the vacuum hoses deteriorate, the whole system is stuck open. And then you have the problem of a big hole in the axle tube being a weak spot unless properly reinforced. You can't give away disconnect axles from the YJ/XJ/SJ Jeeps. Nobody wants them.

There are, or at least were, disconnect eliminator kits for the older Jeeps. You could find a setup with a manual shift cable to take place of the vacuum system. But kits with a single shaft, a couple of extra seals, and a cover plate would get rid of the disconnect altogether.

You could also swap out the unit bearings for an assembly that gave you locking hubs. Though I'm not sure if those kits are still available as most people don't like having to get out and lock hubs. And the unit bearings usually aren't the first thing to let go so they don't need upgrading as badly.

I like being able to just shift from 2WD to 4WD without having to mess with anything. I'll keep my unit bearings and enjoy the drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts