Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to put locking hubs on a YJ to surpass the whole vacuum system? I'll probably be doing this sometime soon because I don't feel that the vacuum is very reliable. What do you guys think? Is there a write up on locking hubs?
Thanks guys,
YJman

·
Registered
746 Posts
What do locking hubs have to do with the vacuum system? If you install manually locking hubs and dont do a vacuum disco delete you will still need the vacuum system to engage 4WD. Just get a used set of TJ shafts (both so you can run 760x ujoints on both sides), a plate to block off where you remove the actuator from, an inner axle seal (this will require removing the carrier to install), and get your front DS balanced and you are done. No more vacuum system and you can add outer axle seals to both sides to keep crap out of the tubes.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohhhh sorry I'm still learning about 4x4 systems. That sounds like a good idea. So the TJ shafts fit into the D30 in the YJ?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Yes they do. You can also take this opportunity to go with chromoly shafts as well. For the record, there is a manual hub conversion kit, but you can go to chromoly and eliminate the vac disconnect for about half the price.

I will tell you that installing the inner axle seal is an absolute pain in the butt. I used a long threaded rod and large washers as a "tool" to set it and messed up two seals before I finally got it right.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you are just wanting to get rid of the vacuum system you can replace it with a cable type like the posi lock for $175 or so. I know some have made home made versions of it also for cheaper.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts