Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed the spare has locking lugnut on jeep I resently bought. Previous owner does not have key. Will tires shops have a key? What is my best option here?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
free78 said:
Just noticed the spare has locking lugnut on jeep I resently bought. Previous owner does not have key. Will tires shops have a key? What is my best option here?
Find a 1/2" drive 12 point socket that will only fit over the lock using a big hammer. Pound it on, and use in impact gun to remove.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
JPi1 said:
Find a 1/2" drive 12 point socket that will only fit over the lock using a big hammer. Pound it on, and use in impact gun to remove.
X2 thats what my friend had to do when he lost his key. The socket should be a harder metal and shouldn't be hurt at all after pounding it on.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just need the locking lugnut off. The spare is the only wheel with it. I dont need a lock on them, theives arent a problem here. I'm about to go down to the local tire joint and see if they have a key. If they don't I guess I'll have to go in to the big city to find one.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
I have used a big set of vise grips to remove them in the past. And sometimes, depending on the spare tire width and wheel dimensions, letting all of the spare tire's air out will loosen the tire on the mount enough that the lug nuts will loosen enough so they can be removed by hand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If letting the air out dosnt work try hitting the locking lug with a grinder and put a flat area on each side of it and use a big cresent.vice grips tend to slip on round chrome locking lugs.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have had all of thepreviously mentioned methods fail a while ago but an Air chisel took all 5 off in seconds...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts