Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have just recent purchased a handful of upgrades for my JK. One of which was a Smittybilt HD Pivot Spare tire mount. What is a good locking nut for the spare tire that will fit that new tire mount?

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
That depends in part on what wheel you have. It also depends on what you mean by "locking nut".
There are the lug nuts that use a special key, that is what I use. Mine are the spline drive type. Then there are locking lug nuts that have an actual lock, like from Bolt-Lock. I have heard that there are some wheels that a Bolt-Lock will not fit. Where as the spline drive lug nuts should fit just about any wheel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got the new spare smittybilt mount with 33 inch tires. I am using stock rubicon wheels (2015).

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
So you could use a Bolt-Lock if you like that premise. Or you could just run a set of lug nuts that use the lug nut key, like I do. That locks the spare, and also secures the other four tires. It does mean you need the lug nut key to remove a wheel. But I don't have an issue with that. Some do.
I have also seen people use a short cable lock like for a bicycle. Just route it through the wheel and around the spare carrier. I don't have a stock spare carrier, or the Smitty carrier, so I don't know how well that would work. But it seems like the hard way to do it. That is why I run the splined lug nuts. Problem solved.

·
Registered
444 Posts
What I did on my TJ (realized I have very little fear of having spare stolen where I am, so I don't have these now) was buy a set of 5 locking lug-nuts that came with a "key" (special socket) I put one on spare, and each of the 4 tires...... so all 5 wheels were "locked"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts