Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ones anyone know of one of these systems that works with a manual transmission in a '13? All the ones I've seen specifically say they don't work with the manual. I'm looking to add cameras, and would like to integrate with the 430N.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have spent the last few weeks reading all I can about this issue for my 2014 JKU with manual transmission. The lockpick will enable all cameras to work, but not the video or nav in motion. I ordered a NavTool, which will work for manual - including in motion options. I plan to install it, with a backup camera (the min reason I am buying), as soon as it arrives. My research showed people were generally happy with it. Best of luck!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have spent the last few weeks reading all I can about this issue for my 2014 JKU with manual transmission. The lockpick will enable all cameras to work, but not the video or nav in motion. I ordered a NavTool, which will work for manual - including in motion options. I plan to install it, with a backup camera (the min reason I am buying), as soon as it arrives. My research showed people were generally happy with it. Best of luck!
Could you update here with your opinion of the NavTool when you get it installed?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the NavTool interface with a Pyle backup camera installed under the bumper where hitch would go and I am super happy with the result.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Has anyone installed the NavTool with the manual transmission and can confirm it works? I'm looking to add a rear view camera to my unlimited once it arrives.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK, so I finally received my Navtool and installed it. I have a 2014 JKU with a 6 speed manual transmission, so this is the only real option. The others dont work with Manual, unless I try the dealer starscan route and my dealer said they would charge me up to 7 hours labor as they had not done it before and it would void my waranty.....

The Navtool works just as decsribed, for video in motion, nav in motion, and the backup camera. It does exactly what I needed. If you are considering ordering one, please be sure to specify to them you want the full AV harness and if you have a manual transmission you need to tell them that too. When my Navtol arrived it only had the backup camera on the harness, not the extra video. One call and they sent it out the next day. Then, after hooking it all up the "in motion" aspects did not work. I texted them on a saturday and they replied back saying I needed to plug it into a PC and change the software on it for a MT. It worked just like they said and now everything works great.

Total install was 2 1/2 hours, including taking dash back apart to update software. Here is what I did:

Made a 90 degree camera mount from a piece of flat sheet metal. It is 2.5"w x 4" tall. I removed the spare and bolted this mount to the spare carier, positioning it so the camera sticks out of the hole in the wheel. I ran the wiring into the grommet on the right side of the spare carrier, then to the wire harness above the sub. I soldered the red camera wire into the white with grey wire (reverse) and the black into the black. Soldering is the best ption here as the camera wires are tiny.. I ran the camer rca under carpet edge all the way to front seat, then under carpet along transmission tunnel to dash. Snaked that up the dash to the radio.

Removing the dash is simple! Pop out window switches and unplug, remove bolt underneath. Pop out tray on top of dash, remove bolt underneath. Pop off panel under steering wheel, remove bolt on each side of column. Dash then carefully pops right up and off. Remove 4 bolts for radio and pull it out. Unplug harness, plug Navtool inline, then AV harness into empty port on radio. Camera RCA to Camera input, video screen outputs (if you are running a second screen like I did). I then affixed navtool box to inside of dash with velcro so it would not rattle or vibrate. Put everyithing back together and try it out.

If I had the right harness and software it would have been a 1 hour job. Super easy. Just take your time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didnt take pics of the dash removal, etc. Here is what I did take so let me know if there is anything else that would be helpful.

View of camera from back:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachments/gallery/files/4/2/6/1/5/cam_view.jpg

Picture of camera mount:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachments/gallery/files/4/2/6/1/5/mount.jpg

Picture of image during the day:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachments/gallery/files/4/2/6/1/5/day_cam.jpg

Picture of image at night. Its also raining:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachments/gallery/files/4/2/6/1/5/night_view.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you are looking for pics of radio out, harnesses or location of reverse light wiring, search for the DIY posted by Jeepocalypse. He did a great write up with pics that helped mesquite a bit!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just ordered the navtool and a camera to finally add to my Jeep. Hopefully it will all arrive by the weekend, and maybe it will even be warm enough that I'm motivated to install it all.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, the question of the day...Will this setup work with the NON NAV U430?
With my limited knowledge on the subject, I'm not positive, but the NavTool site said that it requires the DVD head unit, but doesn't mention the navigation. I'm not sure if that's because you couldn't get the non navigation unit before so they didn't feel the need, but I would assume that as long as it's a 430 you should be able to add the rear camera.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So with the lockpick there is no need for a dealer starscan update to allow the camera?
Correct. It interfaces between the radio and the vehicle harness and includes connections for cameras. That said, the Navtool is the only one I know of that works with the manual transmission.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Correct. It interfaces between the radio and the vehicle harness and includes connections for cameras. That said, the Navtool is the only one I know of that works with the manual transmission.
I believe the NavTV one does as well. I know Lockpick does not.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got it all installed last night, and the camera is working great. I can't figure out how to unlock the in motion override. Does anybody have any advice to offer?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Assuming you have the Navtool... On the back of the steering wheel on the left is your radio prest button. Push that three times in a matter of sconds and it tricks the jeep into thinking you are not moving and overrides the motion. If you are trying to enter into the GPS go ahead and do that and then hit button three more times and your GPS arrival time and speed will work again. If you want to watch video you will need to leave GPS speed disabled, but directions, etc still work. The only inconvenien of this button is it also changes your radio station, but no biggie.

IF you have a manual transmission and this doesnt work you may need to install new software on the navtool. Plug it into your computer and download navtool installer from their site. Choose the software that ends in MT. i had to do this - it took 5 minutes and then worked fine. ANy more questions let me know. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts